Thursday 5 February 2015

Why?

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, Lama sabachthani?” – which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”                      Mark 15.34


Theses are perhaps the most poignant words in the whole of the Holy Scriptures. The God Man is hanging on the cross paying the price for the sin of all humanity. The suffering is intense, extreme.

Jesus spent so much time with the Father. We are told that He did nothing by Himself, He did only what He saw the Father doing. So many times He left the crowds to withdraw to a quiet place where He could commune with the Father. His connection with the Father was absolutely everything to Him.

And now that connection is broken. My sin prevented Jesus from connecting with the Father in this most dire moment. My sin caused the Father to forsake His only, and much loved, Son.

The disciples had all deserted Jesus (14.50). This surely would have been so difficult to bear. But yet, there was the Father! The Father was always there. Remember the times of leaving the crowds behind and joining in sweet one-ness with the Father.

The weight of sin, rather than the beatings and the cruel nails, is what caused the agony and begins to drain the life away. And then, the Father turns away. I wonder if the emphasis in Jesus’ cry is: “…why have You forsaken me?” Perhaps He could excuse human frailty that caused His disciples to run. But He had always depended on the Father. The Father was always there for Him. Except for now. At this moment, the weight of sin – all sin of all time – would surely have registered in Him both the reality of humanity’s fallen-ness and the truth of His own sacrifice in reclaiming humanity from the clutches of sin. He alone carries the Father’s displeasure. Only God was capable of such a rescue. Yet, ironically God had to disown His own, for however momentarily or otherwise it might have been, in order to keep as His own all being of all time. We may be forever grateful for these heart-wrenching words “Eloi, Eloi, Lama sabachthani?” for they are the absolute guarantee of God’s words to us of:
                   Never will I leave you;
                   never will I forsake you.  (Heb. 13.5)








Holy God,

You gave Yourself for me. How can I ever thank You enough or repay You? And yet I continue to sin. I am tempted to think that I am in a “catch 22”. But these words break in and stir me out of any such maudlin state.  “Eloi, Eloi, Lama sabachthani?”

You have paid the full price. There is nothing more to be said or done. Except for those two seemingly inadequate words of “Thank You.” Sadly, I will continue to sin. I do not make this declaration in optimistic expectation, but rather in realistic comprehension. Yet Your word assures me that where sin increased, grace increased all the more (Rom. 5.20). You further tell me that Your grace is sufficient for me (2 Cor.12.9) I receive Your grace, Lord, and I continue to thank You and bless You that You care so much as  to bestow such grace, favour and love upon me.

I will never understand the extent and character of Your love for me. I can almost hear You say in response to this, “Don’t even try to understand. Simply accept.” Yes, Lord, I  accept; and in the simplest way possible – with an open heart and a yielded spirit.

Come, Lord, in Your gracious love. Fill me to overflowing with Your presence, for I open my heart and all of my being to You. Make me truly Your child. Let me know the wonder and joy of the Kingdom of heaven resident within me.

I look to the day ahead. I surrender to You and ask You to lead me forward. May we enjoy a day of deep and full communion.


Sweet Lord, I pray that You will enjoy me. I give myself over – body, mind, heart and spirit. Commune with me, I pray. Let us celebrate our eternal relationship in a day of sharing and caring. I thank You, and bring these thoughts and requests to You in Jesus’ precious name.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment