Wednesday 11 February 2015

Hunger

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ ”                                                                         Matt. 4.4


Jesus was led into the desert by the Spirit of God. There He was tempted by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights. He was therefore extremely hungry when the tempter encouraged Him to turn stones into bread. His response is quite extraordinary. He resisted the temptation. He was looking for something more satisfying than mere bread.

Jesus advocated living on every word that comes from the mouth of God. I am reminded of the times when I’ve heard said such things as, “They live on his every word.” It suggests a hunger to hear from that particular speaker. What he/she says is of such import that people, literally, “hunger” to hear them.

Hunger can manifest in a variety of ways. Obviously, I can hunger for food. I can also hunger for the company of my favourite people, for the pursuit of my most loved pastimes, or for the improvement of my standard of living.

What ever I may hunger for, let me remember Jesus’ response at this time. He would certainly have been hungry after forty days and nights without sustenance. Yet His appetite was more focused on obeying God’s voice that it was on receiving bodily nourishment. May I, like Jesus, “hunger” to hear my heavenly Father speak and to do whatever He might ask of me.




Loving Father,

Again my Lord Jesus shows the way. In the extreme of bodily hunger, His focus is on You. Please lead me in similar manner.

Your word encourages me to ask of You. I ask now for a hunger for every word that comes from Your mouth. I ask that You would speak of many things to me, and that I will hear, and willingly respond to, all that You would tell me. I thank You for Your love. I hunger to hear Your words.                  Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment