Monday 23 February 2015

Peacemakers

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.”                Matt. 5.9


I see a distinction between peacemakers and peacekeepers. It seems to me that peacekeepers are those individuals who look to preserve peace “at all costs”. In any likely un-peaceful situation, peacekeepers will do no good thing in resolving any issues. They simply seek to maintain a covering of “peace” over what might be serious unrest beneath.

Peacemakers, on the other hand, approach situations of unrest with a view to leading the protagonists, hopefully gently, wisely and lovingly, to review and consider their differences so as to bring resolution and a restoration of true peace.

What a difference exists between the works and motivations of peacekeepers and peacemakers.

The blessing for peacemakers is to be called sons of God. Immediately I read this I think of Jesus, the Son of God. The peacemakers’ blessing connects me with Him. Jesus was the peacemaker par excellence. Some of His most significant words to me are: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.” (John 14.27). A number of years have passed since my Lord spoke these words clearly and firmly to me. He also added to them, saying, “I am making a specific gift of my peace to you. You are to receive it for yourself, and you are to dispense it freely to others.” With such a commission, how could I not give myself to be a peacemaker!




Lord Jesus,

I remember Your words to me with a clarity that does not diminish. I give myself fully into Your peace and I undertake, to the best of my ability, to make peace in Your name. Let me not be tempted into peacekeeping but rather to embrace every opportunity for peacemaking. Walk with me, please, in this. I need You.            Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment