Monday 2 February 2015

No accident

A certain man from Cyrene, Simon, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his way in from the country, and they forced him to carry the cross.      Mark 15.21


It could be tempting to see Simon’s introduction to Jesus as accidental. But I think not. I don’t believe that anyone’s meeting with Jesus is by accident. Jesus himself says, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.” (John 6.44) This suggests that the Father was pivotal in Simon’s role during Christ’s passion. Likewise the Father has drawn each one who believes, and will continue to draw the presently un-committed into life-changing relationship.

I see also that Simon had influence. He was father to Alexander and Rufus. I wonder what tales he might have related to his boys about his encounter with God. Most people have some measure of influence, whether they realize it or not. And simple story telling can be so effective. Like Simon may have done, we can share our Jesus experiences with a simple, “Guess what happened to me?”

To be drawn to Jesus by the Father, and to be able to share our story with others are precious gifts from God. May we wonderfully appreciate and use both.





Lord God,

I thank You, first, for drawing me to Jesus. I thank you also that I am not alone in this life. I know people. I am connected to them. Many that I know also enjoy relationship with You. I praise You for this.

I pray for those who don’t know You. May You use me in drawing them to Jesus? May I be allowed God-given opportunities and moments to share my Jesus experiences.

I love You so much and so want to share this. But not all will receive. I pray that You would lead me to those who are open, and bring the words forth from my mouth if necessary, or the actions from my being. Use me if and as You will, in Jesus’ name I ask.
                                                                                                                                    Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").





No comments:

Post a Comment