Sunday 11 January 2015

"You will...I will..."

“You will all fall away… but after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”                                                                                                                                                  Mark 14.27, 28


We could erroneously think of those first, close disciples as somehow different from ourselves, yet Jesus’ words remind us that they were every bit as human as we are. The shocking events of the trial and crucifixion were to leave them without their beloved shepherd, and they would all fall away.

There are times, still, when disciples and believers wonder where God is. We may experience situations where God seems to be missing. We struggle, feeling helpless, impotent, and alone. But God has not deserted us. We have His assurance that He will never leave us. As surely as Jesus committed to precede His disciples to Galilee, just as surely God is with us – and for us – in all times and situations.

I am relieved that God’s presence and care is not dependent on me. God’s faithfulness is entirely beyond my human striving. I rejoice in this great love that took hold of me while I was still a sinner. And, am I no longer a sinner? Sadly, I continue to sin. But God continues to forgive, and to be there for me. Of course I don’t deserve this, but I am sensible enough to receive it, and to thank my great and wonderful God for His love, mercy and grace.




Lord God,

I recall the time when You brought me back to You, and led me into a true and real relationship with You. I am so thankful.

I am sorry for the times when I think and act in ways that likely disappoint You. I’m sorry that I will probably continue to disappoint. I confess my inadequacies, but I thank You for Your love, and Your forgiveness. I want to please You, yet know I cannot do so in my own abilities. Help me, Lord. Help me to appreciate Your mighty love by a life pleasing to You. I ask this in Jesus’ name.                     Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment