Tuesday 6 January 2015

A beautiful thing

“She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial.”                                                                                                                             Mark 14.8



The situation is the occasion when Jesus is anointed with most expensive perfume by the woman at Bethany. A number of the people present complain, arguing that the money could have been better spent on the poor.

Jesus responds with the words, “She has done a beautiful thing to me.” He reminds the company that they may yet have many times to minister to the poor, but few opportunities to “do a beautiful thing” to Him.

These words impact me deeply. How I would delight to do a beautiful thing to Jesus. There may indeed be many opportunities in my life that invite me to do so, yet I do not recognize them for what they are. I hope this is so, and I pray that I respond in the right way.

I wonder what was in the woman’s mind as she blessed Jesus with the sweet-scented perfume. He saw it as her preparing His body for burial. I very much doubt if she realized at the time that she was doing this. This demonstrates to me that, while we may see ourselves offering a certain service to God, God’s view of it may be quite different, and greatly more significant that we think.

Praise God that we can please Him and fulfill His will – without even knowing it! Hallelujah!




Holy Father,

I rejoice in the precious act of worship that this un-named woman blessed my Lord Jesus with. I pray that I may similarly be a blessing of love to You. May I surprise You with devotion, and may You further add surprise by taking my act to a deeper significance than when it left me.

I do not discount any ministry to “the poor”. But I realize such ministry is of little worth unless preceded by the greater gift to You. I give myself willingly. Take me, in Jesus’ name.                Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment