Saturday 24 January 2015

Disowned

“Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times.”            Mark 14.72b


Jesus had earlier predicted that Peter would deny Him, but Peter had vehemently denied it. Now it had come to pass, and Peter was disconsolate: he broke down and wept.

The thought that they might one day deny their Lord could haunt the faithful like a nightmare. I wonder how many of us would remonstrate strongly as Peter did. Yet, what if we were ever tested? It is only then that we would know how secure we are in our faith.

We know from the story that Peter recovered from his denial. John records the resurrected Christ exhorting Peter to “Feed my lambs”; “Take care of my sheep”; “Feed my sheep”.

Peter, in the power of the Holy Spirit, acquitted himself well. But I wonder if he ever got over his grief at denying Jesus!





Lord Jesus,

I love You and I want this love to last for ever. Right now I feel that I could never deny nor disown You. But how will I be if I am ever seriously tested in this? History has proved Simon Peter to be a mighty man of God, yet he denied You. I can only imagine the anguish and despair that Peter experienced through his public refusal of You. I pray that I may never fail to recognise You as the undisputed head of my life.

I love You, Lord, and I want that love to show forth in every part of my life, in my being and in my doing. I pray that my relationship with You will be obvious for all to see. I thank You for every opportunity I have to share about You. I pray that Your Holy Spirit will infuse every part of my sharing and truly bring alive in people the reality of the love and caring of our great and wonderful God.

I love You, Lord, and pray that this love will never cease. Let it flow to me and from me for all time. Touch many with Your love through me, in Your precious name I ask.    Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment