Wednesday 16 July 2014

Every which way

Today is Wednesday. Since Sunday I have experienced almost unbelievable journeys of crossing -and sometimes re crossing - tracts of Umbria and Marche. Why has this been so? It's maybe due to inadequate pre-planning on my part. Insufficient prior Internet information could be another cause. The reason, singular or otherwise, is presently immaterial. The reality is now history. 

So what am I on about? In a nutshell the vagaries of travel. On Sunday I was due to leave Assisi for Norcia. The distance is not excessive. I identified an afternoon bus service that would take about two hours. This was good. Further research, however, showed that this service did not operate during weekends. This was not good!! The only arrangement available was a train from Assisi to Spoleto, then a bus from Spoleto to Norcia. The time interval between train arrival at Spoleto and bus departure was 5 hours. Oh, no!!!

And so it happened that I revisited Spoleto. When I arrived, I learned that Sunday was the final day of the Spoleto Festival. The festive spirit was still in the air and so my time there passed easily and interestingly. The hour's bus trip to Norcia brought further interest. Now I was leaving the Umbrian plain with its hill towns and cities. We were climbing into the higher elevation of Mount Sibillini National Park. And these were real mountains!


Norcia was easy to familiarise with. As I entered through the Roman Gate I had a most pleasant surprise.


The central street was abuzz with people. The bars and restaurants were overflowing. I don't think I'd seen as much lively, joyful activity on a Sunday in any place during my time in Europe. It was great, and greatly infectious. Norcia is, perhaps, best known as the birthplace of St. Benedict. 


I had an enjoyable stay in Norcia - and in my visit to Cascia on Monday.


Yesterday was my day to move from Norcia to Ascoli Piceno. In planning this trip I'd chosen a sensible progression. From Lake Trasimeno to Assisi and thence to Norcia, Ascoli Piceno, Macerata and finally Ancona. It all looked fine up front. The distance from Norcia to Ascoli Piceno is about 50 Km. A bus service covers this in good time. But - can you truly believe this? - the bus service only operates at weekends!!! (Momentarily I was tempted to wish that travel timetables for Assisi and Norcia were juxtaposed. But wishful thinking is futile.) What was the alternative? I was faced with a bus ride back to Spoleto (my third visit) with a fairly immediate train link to Ascoli Piceno travelling - get this - via Ancona! I would be travelling about 220 Km to get to a place less than 50 Km away!!

When I finally got to Ascoli Piceno I found a most delightful place where I enjoyed the evening ambience and a tasty dinner.


How have I responded to these recent experiences? Interestingly, I've not expressed any of what I might consider to be normal reactions for me. Top of the list might have come frustration. This has not occurred. Indeed, what I've been most aware of is the fun I've had as I've crossed/crisscrossed these beautiful areas. I have truly enjoyed being "driven around". Both bus and train travel have been varied and truly enjoyable.

I think I've surprised myself a little with this reaction, but it makes a lot of sense to me. We may not need to learn from every experience in life. Sometimes, I think, God allows experience for experience sake. In these days, however, I have connected with my earlier times on the Camino. A definite learning for me there was to give God my fullest trust. Another realisation that I got was that I need to grow in patience and tolerance. I'm beginning to see progress in both these areas. These last few days have borne this out for me.

But the journey continues. Tomorrow I move on to Ancona (does that sound familiar?), my final stop before heading home on Sunday. As well as the outward travel, the inward journey also proceeds, and promises change. I give myself to them both.



No comments:

Post a Comment