Thursday 10 July 2014

The Lake and Beyond

     My move on from Perugia was to the Lake District - that is, the shores of Lago (Lake) Trasimeno. My first night was spent at Castiglione del Lago,  a delightful town on the western shore.  Again there was a walk from the railway station to the old town, and this time I had a slight shower of rain to contend with en route. And, yet again, there was what appears to be the inevitable "climb up".


The hotel was delightful and it boasted a first rate restaurant noted for the local cuisine.  The rooftop terrace gave spectacular views over the whole of the lake.


(Again apologies! I have another video but still don't know how to incorporate it into the Blog).

As I took a stroll around I was fascinated to come across the local cinema - fair and square in the middle of the castle forecourt.


My taste of "culture" for the night was culinary - and it was truly tasty. I treated myself, in the restaurant, to the Trasimeno Sapori (Flavours) menu. It was superb and, of course, rich in fish caught fresh from the lake.

My second night was spent on the other side of the lake at Passignano Sul Trasimeno.



Here the hotel had a swimming pool - the holidaymaker was pleased! A highlight of my day was a ferry trip to Isola Maggiore, the largest of the three islands in the lake.



Again I saw many old buildings which included a number of churches.




It amazes me the number (and the size) of churches in comparatively small populations. Of particular interest to me was to learn that Francis of Assisi once spent the 40 days of Lent on the island, during which time he ate just one piece of bread.

And, talking of Francis, I arrived today in Assisi.


This place truly does something to my spirit. It feels like I'm at home here. I don't take much notice of the touristy stuff, or the Franciscan headquarters; my focus and my delight is to visit the places that were significant to Francis. In the next couple of days I hope to re-acquaint myself with his haunts. I say "hope to" because the weather forecast is for thunder storms, and we had a brief taste of one this afternoon.

I will not fret. I leave it to God and, whatever transpires, I feel sure I shall enjoy further adventures with Him.






    



1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with your choice, Europe is one of the most beautiful romantic places I’ve ever been especially the Lake District. Love all the pics.....

    ReplyDelete