Friday 4 July 2014

Transitions


It's now just over one week since I completed the walk to Santiago, and I'm well into the change from pilgrim to tourist. My awareness of walking with Jesus is not as keen now as it was on the Camino.  I recall the simple statement made to me over three years ago before my first Camino: "When you go to Spain all you have to do is walk." And how wonderfully simple it has been to connect with Jesus as we walked together.

Off the Camino other distractions pervade. There are timetables to be organised, checked and kept. Each destination has something special to offer and, though I'm far from an eager avid sightseer, I try to make my visit worthwhile. But Jesus has not been absent. I know He's present with me, and I'm  experiencing what I see as truly wonderful blessings.

My final days in Spain were spent in Barcelona. I had a fabulous time. I used up some shoe leather in seeing certain of the sights, though I'm really not sure what to make of La Sagrada Familia! It isn't really to my taste - reminded me a bit of Disney's fantasy land!




At the tourist offIce I picked up a leaflet that looked interesting. The Museu de la Musica was offering a tour of their collection of classical instruments, especially guitars, followed by a concert given by a guitar virtuoso. I made my way to the building and paid my dues. Imagine my surprise to find, at the start of the tour that I was the only taker. Yes, I had a private conducted tour of a most wonderful collection of classical instruments followed by a personal concert of classical guitar music (starting with Bach, and ending with Spanish composers). The brilliant performer wasn't fazed at his audience of one, and he faithfully presented and played to me for the full half hour. I felt extremely blessed. God was in it!

(Sorry about the darkness, the lights were "theatrical".)

My Italian idyll has started in Spoleto, and we're right into the festival season - more blessing. I did a major walk yesterday exploring the old city of Spoleto.




 

Last night I saw a fascinating presentation by a group of young people from Cracow. In a little while I'm heading off to a concert of sacred music in one of the many churches here, and later tonight I see the San Francisco Ballet perform in the ancient (and authentic) Roman theatre. Wow! Lord, I'm truly grateful.

This morning I felt that I needed some more concentrated God Time. I'd head out of the tourist bustle of Spoleto. A ten minute train ride ( after the train was 40 minutes late) got me to Trevi. I should have realised from my knowledge of Assisi that Trevi would be similar - with the railway station firmly down on the plain whilst the town/city is perched on the mountain top. Trevi, however, has a steeper ascent than Assisi. 



There was no bus waiting for me. I think there might have been a solitary taxi which I chose to ignore (how could someone who's walked 1000+ Km in Spain stoop to take a taxi up a mere hill - mountain!) I started the walk, and I walked. It wasn't long before I was back in the familiar pace and mood of recent weeks - and it was good. I was walking with Jesus. We went up


And up


And up


And up




I thought I would never reach the top. I also wondered what might be at the top for, on the way up, all I passed were houses, houses, and more houses. They look so cute in the photographs, but in reality, and on a hot day, I was hanging out to see a bar, coffee shop, cafe, or shop - !

Eventually I got to the Cathedral. It didn't even look like a house! Then, around a couple of corners, I came to a large square with various eateries and shops.


My thirst was satisfied and my shirt started to dry out from the sweat. Hallelujah!

Before leaving for the downhill jaunt I went into the Cathedral. It was peaceful and I sat in repose, but the place seemed somehow lifeless. Both here in Italy and also in Spain there is ample opportunity (when the buildings are not locked) to enter many houses of God, usually from long past origins. I know these places as God's House and in some I genuinely sense and know His presence. A warmth fills the serene atmosphere of the place. But sadly there are other places which, I'm sure, are equally consecrated and revered, yet they exude coldness and emptiness. Instead of being in God's House, I feel as if I'm visiting God's Mausoleum. I've decided, however, that His House is where I hope to meet with Him and, in keeping with my recent Camino lessons, I shall TRUST God to be there!

Tomorrow, I'm off to Perugia. More festivals? I hope so!

God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment