Saturday 12 July 2014

Shades of Francis

Assisi really is a very special place for me. I've taken advantage of rain-free mornings to visit those places that Francis knew.

My first stop was San Damiano. I left the hotel at about 8.15am. The morning brought mist to the mountain, and the walk downwards toward San Damiano had a touch of mystery and romance about it.


Yes. I can clearly connect both those words to God and to my relationship with Him. After I'd gone more than a little way, I came across a notice advising that San Damiano would open to visitors at 10am. My progress would get me there a little before 9. I confess to getting quite miffed at God's House being closed up and locked by the human species (have I mentioned this before?). Before I got too agitated with this, I decided to continue on down. Hopefully I would find a quiet place to sit where I could spend an hour in God's company while waiting for a mere mortal to open His House. As I proceeded I was suddenly aware of the strongest sense of God's presence with me.


It was almost like He was affirming my decision and expressing His delight with it.

It wasn't too long before I faced the restored little church, solitary in its location, where Francis heard the voice of Christ calling him to conversion and urging him to restore the church.


As I approached the building, I saw an open door. Sightseers were not welcome before 10am but I had come to pay my respects and to worship, so I entered the doorway which led me into the tiny sanctuary. This was all I wanted. As I sat, alone, in quiet reflection, the Christ who spoke those centuries ago to Francis ministered to me.

Behind the altar, the seating for the monks takes a semi-circular form lining the walls. The seats seem to form a composite unit, in wood,with panelled backing and a canopy over. As I looked at this arrangement what I saw were the arms of Christ following the semi-circle of the seating and reaching out to embrace me. He's welcoming me further. He wants me to continue with Him. We will walk on together.

In time others came into the chapel. I don't know if they were worshippers or tourists. It was time for me to leave.

As I retraced my steps, now walking back up the hill, the mist still hung in the air. This was when I remembered the lines of a poem studied, years ago, at school. What came to mind was: Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. Here I was, walking up through the mist. I knew that God was with me. I had a realisation that whilst I saw mist, God did not. Where my vision might be misty, God's is clear. As long as I give myself to walk with Him, He will lead me, in His light and,  eventually, the way -and His will -shall become clear to me. God was ministering to me from a poem studied over half a century ago, for I then saw the outcome, being 'mellow fruitfulness'.

There is a present continuity with the lessons of trust that came through so clearly on the Camino. If I will trust God and give myself to walk with Him whatever the weather, be it sunny and clear or misty and perhaps a little confusing, then I will see, and receive the blessing of mellow fruitfulness. My fruitfulness will not be of my doing. It will come by God having His way in me. I will benefit by knowing the beauty of mellowness. I see it touching on the contentment that I connect with Paul. It removes any anxiety on my part and gives me a peace and assurance for my ongoing travels. My companion is ever present. I thank my God for His faithfulness and love.

Later in the day, as it was still fine and dry, I took the upward path to Eremo Delle Carceri, the hermitage site where Francis and his companions would go for retreat. The four-and-a-half kilometre walk (climb) up Mount Subiaco gives spectacular views over the Umbrian plain.


A different perspective is also seen of Assisi, viewed from the eastern side.


From my previous visit I remembered a most welcome coffee stop about half way to the hermitage. The bar was still there. I complemented my coffee with a slice of the yummiest cheesecake.

On arrival at the hermitage I skipped a tour of the buildings. I had previously done that.


My destination was the woodland, the glades and arbours where I (perhaps like Francis before me) could sit quietly at rest and commune with God. A special favourite of mine is the outdoor chapel.


I also took in the 'Altar of Francis'.


All through these woodlands the peace is pervasive. I walk with Him; I talk with Him. I feel as if I'm in heaven.

The walk back down (to earth!) seemed effortless. The ongoing journey beckons.







No comments:

Post a Comment