Wednesday 11 June 2014

"Are we there yet?"

Monday was a day not to be forgotten. As Sunday was a rest day (which I thoroughly enjoyed), and especially as I had a room to myself, I decided on a deliberate late start from Salamanca - a touch of sheer indulgence.

The day's walk ahead of me gave two options, either a short walk to Calzada de Valdumciel (15.5 Km) or an extended walk to El Cubo de la Tierra del Vino (35.5km). In my mind I'd more or less decided on the shorter option. But, on waking, I realised that to get to my hotel reservation at Zamora on Wednesday would require either the longer walk on Monday or a 33 Km walk on Wednesday. I really didn't want to arrive at Zamora weary after a long hike, so the thought entered my mind to pull a naughty today  - and catch a bus ("Oh, horror!" Cry the Camino purists!) If I could get a bus to cover the first 10 Km, then I'd give a go at the longer walk.

The hotel concierge confirmed that there was a bus to Castellanos de Villiquera (10km). She wrote a name on paper  for me, and pointed me to the Gran Via, literally around the corner from the hotel. I found Gran Via to be littered with bus stops, but I couldn't find the one I needed. I went into a bar for breakfast. The barman responded to my enquiry by directing me up the Gran Via. There I found a number of stopping places for "out of town" buses, but not mine! Bystanders directed me down the Gran Via. Here I found other stops - other than the one I need. This time I'm directed up the Gran Via. At this point I could see myself endlessly tramping the Gran Via like a lady of the night. I decided to begin walking out of Salamanca, and see if I found a bus stop on the way.

When I was virtually out of the city, and with no sign of a bus stop, I finally got it - and cried out, "OK, Lord, I've got the message. You win. We'll do it Your way. You obviously don't want me to catch a bus today so -I'LL WALK!"

The walk was pleasant, off the road and through open country.


After about 5km I stopped at the first village, Aldeaseca de Armuna, for refreshment. The ego had obviously not given up because I asked in the supermarket if there was a bus to the next village. To my amazement they didn't know! Then I twigged, "Right, Lord, You're obviously making sure I walk today." As I left Aldeaseca, I had a thought to carry on to the shorter destination of Calzada de Valdunciel and then take a lengthy stop - maybe even have lunch. After some time out I could then decide whether to continue to El Cubo. When I stopped briefly at the next village, Castellanos de Villiquera, I discovered that Calzada was a mere 4 Km away. I quickly reached it.


After the anticipated "long" lunch stop (during which I enjoyed an excellent meal) I decided to continue on to El Cubo. And so it was that at 2.30 pm I set off for another 20 Km. The walk was pleasant enough and the after noon slightly overcast which made for ideal walking conditions. I was particularly challenged at one point when the way involved considerable up-and-down, repeatedly. Eventually I lobbed into El Cubo de la Tierra del Vino at 7.15pm - my latest finish yet. I was weary yet, surprisingly, not over so.

The albergue was great, and the hospitalera an absolute delight. After a most welcome and refreshing shower it was not long before I was in bed. I totally crashed, and slept well, content and feeling "oh-so-good" after my mammoth 37km walk. What a day!



No comments:

Post a Comment