Thursday 12 June 2014

Contrasts... and contentment!


The contrasts that I noticed in Salamanca last weekend have arisen again in Zamora, and with a strong personal experience. I've scheduled another rest day. This is perhaps not the best planning because I've only walked for three days since my last rest day. Still, it will be at least 11 days before I can sensibly take more time out, so I shall enjoy another short break.

I liked the look of Zamora from my first sighting in the distance. As I approached the city, my liking got stronger.



When I checked into my hotel and entered my room ( actually a mini suite) my liking was absolutely confirmed - and "Contrasts" came clearly to mind.

Let me illustrate. On Tuesday night I stayed at the village of Villanueva del Campean. On first arriving there appeared to be no facilities whatsoever - not even a human to enquire of. In time, I found the municipal albergue and a bar run in the local Ayuntamiento by the town mayoress! I had the albergue to myself ans spent the night in splendid isolation (and quite enjoyed it!).



Compare this with my present environment:



Need I say more?

Contrasts!!

I think I must have had a rush of blood to the head when I booked this hotel some months ago. It is SO luxurious. Still, I can handle it! For two days I shall switch from spartan Peregrino to relaxed traveller and sightseer. The change will not be difficult. I plan to enjoy two days of rest (minimum walking) and recreation (in essence, taking it easy). Yet when I resume walking in two days time it will be no hardship. I can readily make the change and, likely, I'll be ready to embrace it.

I think I'm beginning to get what Paul refers to as "being content". In his letter to the church at Philippi he says: "...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."  (Phil. 4.11b - 12).

I'm not sure that I'm yet fully there in a state of contentment, but I'm getting there.

Paul follows his declaration with the words: "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (V13).

This is surely the truth!



1 comment:

  1. It seems The Lord and I are in agreement concerning public transport.
    Enjoying your acount and wishing I was stil there.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete