Thursday 26 June 2014

People Power

Before leaving home on this adventure, I had a sensing, or maybe it was a hope, that I would enjoy connections with the locals along the way. The Via de la Plata virtually traverses the length of Spain from south to north. I would be passing through areas of diverse people groups. I hoped to interact with some of them and make a connection, however brief or transient.

It has happened, and I have a number of encounters I can recall and be thankful for. None have been particularly deep, because time and circumstances did not allow. But I have found, however brief, that we can be blessed by our meetings and interactions with others. (And hopefully we bless them through our connection.)

My first (brief) encounter came early on when the municipal officer, in response to my query on joining the Camino on the way out of town, led me out into the street, through to the main square, and directed me simply and clearly through the town. He even checked that I understood what he'd said.

I recall the beautiful Anna, the hospitalera at Aljucen who opened up the church for us - and something opened up for me! (Blog post: San Andres, Aljucen)

At Grimaldo, I had a special conversation with Cesar, the young owner of the Posada. He lived in Carceres. He was an architectural engineer by training but had lost his job due to the recession. He bought a dilapidated property in his parents' village (Grimaldo) and had renovated it himself into the most delightful stopping place. Somehow during the afternoon the question of my dirty clothes came up (not so much dirty as dusty), so he promptly offered to wash them for me in the posada's washing machine. He also took great pains to clarify the next day's walk for us. This was spontaneous hospitality beyond what was necessary.

My next recollection is of Angela, the young woman at Villanueva del Campean. When the only bar in the village closed suddenly and without any prior notice she, as mayoress, took it upon herself to open a bar in the Ayuntamiento - for the benefit of pilgrims and "the old men of the village who like to come in and play cards." She toils from 9 am 'till late (possibly midnight) most days. And she is delighted to be doing so. She is a qualified mechanical engineer who, due again to the recession, had not worked for 12 months. She was so grateful for the opportunity to put something into the community.

Another very special ( indeed quite amazing) encounter came with two brief words from a lady last Sunday (but more of this anon).

And my final encounter, for now, happened just two days ago. It was the day I left Ourense. I was aiming for a stop on the national highway (N525) just a little beyond Pinor. The hostal was about 150 m off the Camino. I thought I'd be OK. I wasn't! When I turned off the Camino I must have entered the N525 beyond the hostal. Not knowing this I kept walking - away from where I wanted to be! All day the skies had been grey and a little threatening. Now the clouds overhead were darkening and loud thunderclaps were becoming quite regular. I stopped to put on my rain jacket and fix the waterproof cover to my backpack. It started to spot with rain - the first I'd experienced in 39 days of walking.

The road was rising gently. Ahead of me I saw what might be a bar. A large Spanish flag flew from the flagpole outside and a sign said what I took to be 'Association of Friends of the Spanish Flag'. I wasn't even sure if the establishment was open, but decided to try. I entered; a sole couple sat at a table finishing a meal. They looked like this was their place. After we exchanged greetings, I asked in very basic Spanish, "Are there any beds nearby?" They told me the next accommodation was just 5 Km away -and it was on the Camino. This sounded good.

The man asked me what I'd like to drink. Would I like a beer? The drink came with a dish of potato crisps, and the declaration that this was their gift to me. I was most appreciative. Of course, it took time for me to eat and drink. All the while the man, Miguel (who spoke a little English) kept making a series of phone calls. His wife, Neves, kept telling me, in Spanish, that a storm was coming and it wasn't good. At one stage the lights flickered. Neves was not encouraged. By now, I 'd finished my refreshment and felt I should take my leave of these good people. We went outside. The sky was not encouraging - nor was Neves!

It transpired that Miguel's constant occupation with his mobile was him ringing his friends to see if anyone was available to drive me to the accommodation, as he was presently without a vehicle. I was quite astounded at his extreme thoughtfulness and consideration -and for a complete stranger. Eventually, he contacted a friend who was free. The man arrived shortly, and his friendship with Miguel was abundantly clear. They greeted each other like long lost brothers. As we prepared to get into his car, the heavens opened, the storm broke, and it positively poured down. This continued for the whole of the drive to the next village. But I was delivered safely and spent a pleasant night in dry and comfortable surroundings. When I tried to express my heartfelt thanks to Miguel, he explained himself with a simple, "This is our Spanish hospitality." Wow, was it ever !!!

These are just some of the beautiful people I've met in recent weeks. And I've only mentioned "the locals". I have also met, walked with, and enjoyed relationship with a host of fellow pilgrims from many nationalities. I thank each one of them for the time (brief in some cases, sometimes extended when we've spent several days walking together) they have joined with me in my journey through this part of my life. I have received much blessing. I pray that I, in turn, have been able to touch others in the way of blessing, peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment