Thursday 5 June 2014

International Brotherhood

When I walked the Camino Frances in 2011, I met and connected with a small number of people of differing ages, different nationalities, and of both genders.
Last year on the Camino Portugues my Camino companions were almost all female -and particularly Scandinavian and Dutch.
This year, so far on the Via de la Plata all those I've met and walked with have been male, and generally over 50 years old.

It fascinates me how we have the opportunity to connect with people of all ages, nations and stages of life. And the Camino is the most wonderful catalyst to opening up relationship and closeness.

Last Saturday, after a relatively minor (19 Km) walk, I arrived somewhat hot and weary at the village of Grimaldo. A Casa Rural - La Posada de Grimaldo - had been recommended to me. As I registered, I connected with one of two Canadians I'd met at the stop the night before. While we were talking, the other guest at the Posada appeared. I didn't recognise him, but he recognised me. He was the Italian I'd met on the road into Merida a week before.

Later in the afternoon I was sitting quietly in the courtyard when the second Canadian arrived, attended by the Spanish host. In no time a small international community was assembled in the sunny courtyard - the two Canadians (one French, from Quebec, the other Chinese from Ontario), the Italian from Rome, the Spanish host from Carceres, and myself. In a little while we were joined by a Scottish pilgrim who was passing the open garden gate and recognised the two Canadians.  A  couple of hours passed in gentle, stimulating and insightful conversation. We learnt much of each other's countries and experiences. Later, when we adjourned to a local restaurant for dinner, we were joined by a Frenchman. The amicable conversation continued and great fellowship was enjoyed. Was it the relaxed atmosphere of this Camino outpost that facilitated such genuine exchange? Maybe! There certainly is something about taking time out and immersing oneself in the simplest of lifestyles - just walking, enjoying the relaxed countryside, appreciating whatever company comes along, and feeling completely and utterly contented and at peace with the world.

Our interactions and exchanges were so easy, positive and affirming. I couldn't help thinking if a handful of individuals can achieve such understanding and mutual appreciation, why can't countries do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment