Saturday 21 June 2014

High


"G'day! Greetings from El Peregrino Australiano (as someone referred to me) who is, literally and spiritually, on top of the world.

For the past few days I've been walking the Galician mountains. But before I could walk through the mountains I had to walk up to them. The ascent started on the morning I left Requejo. The guide book warned that there was quite a climb to come (over 300m). The early part was along the road (N525).


It was not a hardship. The rise, though definite, was gentle and the views made the effort worthwhile. In time I turned off the road onto a more natural way. This took me past mountain streams


And woodland settings. At one point I encountered some non-human fellow travellers.


I reached Lubian where, to my surprise and joy, the church was actually open and playing forth gentle music. I enjoyed a time of quiet and reflection.


The strenuous climb that dIdn't really eventuate in the morning waylaid me in the afternoon as I climbed out of Castilla Y Leon.


I climbed up and up, further and further. I thought I was going to expire. Eventually I got to A Canda, and entry into Galicia.



This is the last province of this walk. I'm beginning to feel that I'm in the home straight.

Yesterday morning, after overnighting in Vilavella, I walked on to A Gudina. I decided to continue on -what a challenge this turned out to be. I climbed, and climbed some more. The scenery was breathtaking, but the effort was telling.



 

I reminded myself that Jesus was with me. I wondered if He was as tired as I was! 

The guide book indicated a steep descent into Campobecerros. I was ready for it -oh, was I ready! Just when I needed it most, the sign came - asking me to climb even higher !!!
Dear Lord, at this rate You'll soon be able to let down a rope ladder and I can climb up to heaven!
Well, I had no alternative, did I? The climb went on, but not for ever. Eventually I came to the most amazing site. There below me was my (absolute) destination for the day of Campobecerros but alongside it was the most amazing construction site for the high speed rail link from Madrid to Galicia.


The descent was indeed sharp, and sudden. On the way down I passed a crusher plant and a concrete batch plant for the railway.

I entered the town in a state bordering on collapse. I found a bar for desperately needed liquid refreshment. I enquired of the albergue. There wasn't one, it closed! Horror! What am I going to do now? The bar lady asked me if I wanted a place "dormir" to sleep. She said her friend might be able to help me. And so I came to meet Maribel, a pint sized blonde dynamo with a house full of bedrooms. I had the most refreshing sleep.

And so to today. My walk started amidst mountain mist.


It was wonderful.


As the morning opened up so the mist cleared.


I've determined on a short (15km) walk today. I shall stop at Laza, catch up on washing, blog, and emails, and enjoy a relaxing afternoon. But first, I have a couple of mountain villages to pass through and then a descent into Laza. As I approached the second village, As Eiras, a sign informed me of a Ultreia stop in the village. This turned out to be the most delightful voluntary pilgrim support point.

Drinks, cakes and biscuits had been left together with a sello and lots of encouraging messages. I helped myself, relaxed and simply enjoyed the anonymous hospitality. I tended my feet, left a donativo, and resumed the journey. What a charming break. In just over an hour I was in Laza. The albergue is great and there's pleasant company here.

The climbing is not over. Nor, do I suspect are the challenges that accompany it. But I'm finding increasing strength with each passing day. Today is the first day of my sixth week of walking. It doesn't feel like it. I am constantly aware of His presence with me. I sense Him testing and stretching me. I feel Him alongside me when I need extra encouragement. It's like He's saying, "Come on, we can do it." And we do.

How can I not feel high in such elevated and elevating company?







No comments:

Post a Comment