Sunday 1 July 2012

Stand firm


So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall.         1 Cor. 10.12


This is a worthy warning to bear in mind at all times, indeed, to live by.

I may think I am standing firm. I might feel most secure in God, yet I must be ever alert. There is no room for complacency in the Christian life. I need always to be on guard against the attacks of the enemy. And the more I seem to grow and prosper in Christ, the greater the threat I become to Satan and the bigger a target for his fiery darts.

Paul continues his writing and tells me that any temptation I experience is also known to others. There is no original temptation. All have been used before in devilish manipulation.
But God is faithful. He is faithful and He will not allow the temptation to go beyond my capacity to bear it. When I am faced with temptation God will provide a way out. He will enable me to stand up under temptation and to overcome it.

Yet, I must be diligent. Surely I need to keep my eyes firmly on God. Temptation is often appealing, but I don’t think it is all that subtle. If I remain alert, I can generally discern when temptation rears its ugly head. And this is when I take action. I act immediately and my first move is to turn to God, to turn fully to him, and to turn the temptation over to His holy response. If I waver, I could be lost. I cannot afford to give any recognition or measure to the ways of sin. James urges me to: Resist the devil, and he will flee from you (Jas. 4.7). What a great thing it is to spurn Satan, to be able to turn from him knowing that we can so wonderfully walk with a loving Father who both protects us and blesses us. The ways of the Lord are the ways I want to embrace with the whole of my being. There is none like Him. I want to abide in Him always, to walk and talk with Him, to live and move and have my being in him. Hallelujah!





Lord God, Heavenly Father,

There are sinful ways and desires of the flesh that I know would seek to draw me from You. I do not want this, and so I lay these things before You. I seek Your forgiveness, Your protection against any evil thing that might seek to assail me, and Your leading in right ways.

I am no different to other men. The temptations that seek to provoke me assail others to. But I do not want to succumb.

Holy, Heavenly Father, hear my prayer. Receive my cry for greater union and deeper intimacy with You. Receive it, and answer it, please.

Show me your ways clearly. Strengthen me and guide me to walk always in them. I love you. I would share this love with others. Freely I have received from You. Let me freely share.
                                                                                                                                           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment