Tuesday 10 July 2012

Righteousness


For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: ‘The righteous will live by faith.’           Rom. 1.17

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.                                                                                Rom. 3.21,22

It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith.               Rom. 4.13


What do these readings tell me? Firstly, that the gospel reveals a righteousness from God. This righteousness, through and through, is by faith. The righteous will live by faith. If I am righteous, my faith will sustain me, I will live by faith. And if I have faith, I may know righteousness.

What is righteousness? I see it simply as living in right relationship with God. Work will not achieve righteousness for me, but trust in God may generate both faith and righteousness.

God’s righteousness comes apart from the Law yet it is attested to both by the Law and by the Prophets. The righteousness of God is received through faith in Jesus and is available to all who believe in Him.


Abraham and his offspring, of whom I count myself one, received the promise of heirship through righteousness which was reckoned by faith and not by the Law.

I know that I trust God, but I want to trust Him more. I believe I have faith, yet I yearn for more. I do not dare to describe myself as righteous, but I most certainly aspire to be. God, who is good, hears all prayers. May He hear my fervent prayer and may it please Him to answer me.







Lord God,

I come to You in thankfulness, humility and petition. I thank You for Your exceeding goodness and faithfulness to me.

I humbly ask for more. I see the example of Abraham and also of Moses and David. I would seek to follow them. Yet I am not them, but me, and so I ask for what they had but in the measure that it would please You to apportion to me.

I ask for a greater faith. O that I might follow Abraham in the demonstration of faith. His faith brought him into a state of righteousness. Lord God, I humbly seek for myself a gift of faith from You such as will lead me into a richness of righteousness.

Lord, I know too well that it is not who I am but who You are. I am saved by Your grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I do believe. I rejoice in the lordship of Jesus over my life. I praise You for all You are doing in me and I dare to ask for more.

I pray that I might, just like Moses, know You and be known by You as a friend. And my hope is that, like David, I might become a man after Your own heart.

Lord God, Precious Saviour, My Dearest Father, I give my heart to You. Take it please;
touch it with You own heart. Deposit within me  a measure of the love that You have for this confused and hurting world and use me, if You would, to Your praise and glory in service to all humanity.

This I ask in Jesus’ powerful and precious name.                                                       Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment