Sunday 15 July 2012

The Law, and beyond

The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law.          Mark 1.22


The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching – and with authority! He even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey him.”          Mark 1.27


Something new came with Jesus. He taught “beyond” the scope of the law contained in the Scriptures which was revered by all devout Jews and unchallenged as the Word of God. Yet Jesus didn’t contradict or contravene the law, at least not the essentials of it. But, somehow, He enlarged it. He expanded it and in so doing He made it real to the people He taught and ministered to. He showed them the love that was behind the law, a love that hitherto had been hidden in the teaching of the Jewish leaders, if not altogether forgotten.

Jesus Himself said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them.”         (Matt. 5.17)

The Law said “You shall not murder.” Jesus took this further, saying, “...anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.” (Matt.5.22) The Law said “You shall not commit adultery”, but Jesus said “...anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”  (Matt. 5.28)

Jesus’ teaching was challenging and threatening to the leaders and teachers of His time. So much so that eventually they plotted against Him and secured His downfall under the very law that He challenged. Yes, by His teaching He was almost saying, “Don’t worry about committing murder and don’t think of yourself as righteous because you’re not guilty of such an act, but rather consider – have I been angry with my brother? Or, whilst I may not have engaged in the act of adultery, have I looked lustfully at a woman?”

The challenge that Jesus presented, with an acknowledged authority, to the people of His day is the challenge that faces us today. Instead of smugly satisfying myself in declaring “I have not transgressed the ten commandments”, I should be asking myself if I have been Christ-like in all of my thinking, speaking and doing.

The final word is with Jesus. He was hunted down, condemned and crucified for His challenge to the people of his day. But He overcame. He rose from the dead, illustrating His mastery over the final affliction, and His total victory over sin.

So it is for us. In Him we have forgiveness of all that would seek to keep us from right relationship with the Father. By His life on earth we have the most excellent example to follow. And through Him we are assured of eternal life filled with love unlimited.





Lord Jesus,

I pray that I might grow more Christ-like every day. I ask You to lead me in the victory You have won for me. I commit every detail of my life to Your leadership.

I thank You for upending the religious institutions of your day. Thank You for bringing truth and hope into the lives of ordinary people. I pray that You might equip and use me to do something similar in my day. I make myself available to You.

Lead me forward, Precious Lord, in Your powerful name I ask.                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment