Sunday 20 May 2012

Behaviour


...if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behaviour of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. ...

Instead, it (your beauty) should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.           1 Peter 3.1b-2, 4


Peter is addressing women in respect to their unbelieving husbands. Yet I see an application in His words for all of us.

Jesus has commanded and commissioned us to be His witnesses (Acts 1.8). Some people might respond to our words, but we would be wrong to seek to win people over with oratory skills. What speaks more clearly to all people, Christian and non-Christian, is our behaviour.

Peter calls us to demonstrate by our behaviour that we are true followers of Christ. We show Jesus to the world through the purity and reverence we demonstrate in our lives. It is not an external, cosmetic manifesting such as can be achieved by fine clothes, groomed appearance and the right talk and actions. Rather, it is the outward showing of the inner self. It is the manifestation, outworking, and outliving of a gentle and quiet spirit, and the truth that Jesus is with us.

I need this revelation today and I need the reality of these words to be evidenced in my life. I am no wordy evangelist, nor a bold verbal proclaimer of the gospel. Therefore I hope to witness to all by showing them the person I am by allowing myself a measure of transparency so that what is inside might be seen from the outside.

But, what is inside? How do I know that a gentle and quiet spirit inhabits me? How can I be sure that there is purity and reverence inside which will come forth in my daily living and speak to all people of my witness to Christ?

I believe the answers to these questions lie with Jesus Himself.






O Loving Jesus, My Sweet Saviour,

I love You, Lord, and my heart’s desire is to be a true, faithful and lasting witness for You.

I do not seem to be able to loudly proclaim and evangelise. I ask Your forgiveness if this disappoints You.

I do, however, experience great enthusiasm in You and I ask You to bless this and draw out this enabling in me that I might minister to many of the reality of You.

I heed the words of Your servant Peter. I pray that purity and reverence will be fundamental to the person I am and to my life and my living. I pray that You would instil in me a gentle and quiet, but strong, spirit, and I ask You to use me in ministering to others out of the holiness of the spirit that You implant in me.

Lord, I have no clear direction, yet I know that I travel every day with You. I believe You are leading me to the realisation of Your plans and purposes for me and, along the way, the dreams that You give me will be fulfilled.

I rejoice in knowing You. I ask for opportunities – many, many opportunities to bring others into a knowledge of You, and to lead them deeper in relationship with You. I pray that my own relationship with You will deepen. I open myself to You for whatever You would do.

I say again, I love you.

Lead me in that love. Please draw me closer to You. In Jesus’ name I ask.               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment