Sunday 8 May 2016

Valleys

You make springs gush forth in the valleys; they flow between the hills, giving drink to every wild animal.                                                                              Psalm 104.10,11a


The psalm talks of the universal sovereignty of God and His all-encompassing provision. But the words I’ve noted bring a specific picture to my mind.

I am reminded of the valleys of life, those times when, for whatever reason, we feel challenged beyond our capabilities. We are down, and often wonder if we can rise up again. We may even feel like a wild animal – alone, vulnerable, perhaps even hunted or relentlessly pursued. We may sense danger, or realise great need.

This is where, and when, we need to look for the gushing springs, the water of life that brings sustenance and hope. The springs flow freely, and their provision is for everyone.

But I do not see these springs gush forth. I am bankrupt in hope. My valley is dry and there is no sign of water or rain. Where is my provision? Where is my God?

Sometimes I can be so consumed with my immediate problems that I am oblivious to all that has been said or assured to me. I am reminded of God’s words that He will never leave me, and I feel a gentle conviction inside that He will be found in the darkest, driest valley if I will seek Him and not give up. Indeed, my seeking of him must be relentless. God nudges me by His words through the prophet Jeremiah: “When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me.” (Jer. 29.13,14a).

Valleys are places where I need to exercise resistance against the threat, and perseverance in pursuing God.



Mighty God,

You have said You are there for me at all times. You assure me that I will find You if I am relentless in my pursuit of You.

I pray that I will remember this wisdom when I find myself in the valleys of life. I ask that Your Holy Spirit bring recollection to me. Let me turn to You to receive the strength and the hope I may need.

The springs water the valleys and they do not do it sparingly. They gush forth. There is an abundance. May I know this and experience it as the need arises.


O Holy God, You are there – always. I rejoice in this, and I thank You in the gracious name of Jesus.                                                                                                                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment