Friday 3 April 2015

He's everywhere

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.           Psalm 139.7,9

I'm very much aware of God's presence with us throughout this holiday. There have been a series of challenges (none quite as dramatic as losing the wallet), a trusting of God in all situations, and breakthrough in and with Him.

On Sunday, I felt God encourage me to be alert to His presence and the presence of other believers in Penang. Concrete evidence came the next day. We were on our way to visit (would you believe) an enormous Chinese Buddhist temple covering most of a hillside some distance out of Georgetown. I'd asked the driver to let us know where to get off. He forgot and we went sailing past. We got further and further away and it seemed almost impossible to do anything in a crowded, foreign bus. Eventually, a charming local lady spoke to us. The situation seemed to have dawned on her. She said we needed to get off the bus immediately and take another bus back to the temple. She organised the driver to endorse our tickets so that we wouldn't need to pay more. She and her young daughter got off the bus where she encouraged us to dismount. She sent her daughter home, and announced that she would stay with us until the right bus arrived, and she would give the driver instructions for setting us down at the temple.

In the course of a short conversation, it transpired that she was a Christian. It didn't surprise me, for her whole demeanour and behaviour was sweet testimony to the Saviour she was wonderfully following. I praise God for her, and for others we met during our Malaysian stay. We met a number of people who, though they did not declare themselves as believers, certainly treated us courteously and lovingly.


Dear Lord,

I thank You for that precious lady in the back blocks beyond Georgetown. Her whole behaviour was the most wonderful and generous witness to our Lord Jesus

As we progress on this present journey, Your presence impresses itself on me. I thrill that I am able to trust You, and I do so willingly and happily. Thank You.    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment