Thursday 16 April 2015

The light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."    (John 8.12)

We're spending the final days of this German sojourn in the delightful Rhine-side town of Rudesheim. My memories of Rudesheim of over forty years ago prompted this return visit, and we have not been disappointed. Joshua is enthralled with the town, its character and ambience.

Today is a glorious Rhineland spring day. The sky is clear, the sun is warm and I have enjoyed a wonderful early morning walk through the vineyards above the town, and along the Klosterweg to the Benedictine Abbey of St. Hildegard.


I have even seen evidence of the Camino here.


I just might need to return some day for some serious walking.

I am presently sitting in the sanctuary of the Abbey Church.



 As I look up, I see directly into the eyes of Christ who is looking back at me, directly at me and at no one else.


I reflect over the last couple of weeks and at those aspects of this holiday and visit that were not according to my planning, and certainly not in agreement with my expectations. For instance, losing my wallet and all its precious contents on the first day. The mass of re-arrangements that followed.Then  contracting a heavy cold after just a couple of days in Germany, and battling with the effects as I sneezed and coughed, but continued to walk through wind and snow in the Bavarian Alps.

I look up, and it's as if Jesus is saying, "So what? I got you there and I've got you here, haven't I? It may not have been as you would have wished but then, life's not like that. You have to be prepared for the unexpected. The challenges you have faced and, by the way, have overcome, in the last couple of weeks have actually enhanced your holiday. Yes, you have shared some wonderful times with your grandson. You have enjoyed a pleasant catch-up with some family members, and you have seen such a variety of the Father's creation. How blessed you are!"

I am reminded of the significance of light in the life and work of Hildegard of Bingen. I look up and I see the light that Christ is, even today in this world where many have abandoned Him. I know the light that He is in my life. I am aware of how that light has shone in recent weeks. I am humbly grateful.



Lord Jesus,

You are the light of my life, and I thank You. Thank You for shining as You have up to the present time. Please continue to shine as I go forward, ever in Your light.    Amen.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment