Thursday 25 December 2014

How much

“I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.”                                                                                                                             Mark 12.43b


Jesus compared the poor widow with the others who made offerings at the temple treasury. The rich gave from their wealth. When they left the temple they were still rich. Had they really given anything of significance?

The widow put in the smallest amount. Indeed, it was hardly noticeable in monetary value. But it was all she had to live on. The widow left the temple with nothing. Or did she?

Of the two contrasting parties, the widow is the one who truly served God. I might imagine that God took her small contribution and used it for the most amazing and profitable kingdom work. I’d like to imagine that God blessed the widow with a steady provision for her wants during the rest of her life. But all this is imagination.

The reality, as the story reads, is that she was left with nothing tangible. But she had surrendered her all to God. If both parties were questioned on whether they had followed Jesus, the rich might have blustered, “Well, I gave and gave handsomely.”

The widow could honestly say, “I gave Him my all.” I believe she knew the true riches.




Lord God,

I praise You for the widow and I thank You for her example. I can’t say that I have followed her in surrendering all that I have to the “temple treasury”. But my heart is to follow Jesus. I offer what I have to You. I delight that You choose to use me in many varied ways. I give myself fully into Your service.

I look to You for every provision. I do not seek, as the rich folks, to maintain my own means. Rather, I trust You for the provision of all that I might need. You are my source. You are my provider. You are my means, my fulfillment and satisfaction. I look to You, and only to You.


I praise You and  thank You,. In Jesus’ name.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment