Friday 19 December 2014

Always



I will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.                                          
Psalm 34.1

The psalmist has learned a deep truth. Whatever he experiences, or has experienced, he declares that he will extol the Lord at all times. With these words, I see him issue a challenge to every believer.

Can I extol my Lord and my God at all times? There are occasions when it is difficult to do so. Is praise for Him always on my lips? I must confess to forgetfulness, but this is not the sole reason. At times circumstances can overwhelm. Places become dark and foreboding. People – yes, the wonderful people who populate life – can sometimes irritate, annoy and even “persecute”. So, how can I turn to God in such times?

Well, I need to do so just because He is God. Nothing that befalls me is too big, too serious or too threatening for Him. I am reminded of Jesus’ words: “Come to me...and I will refresh you...and you will find rest for your souls.”

Even as I write these words, I feel the peace of Jesus envelop me. Truly, He is all I need. And so, yes, I will come to Him. He is there for me through thick and thin. He most certainly refreshes me, He reaches out to take my burden with the words, “Give it to me, let me relieve you of it.” I willingly hand it over. I come to Him; I journey alongside Him; I extol Him and I hold praise to Him fondly on my lips.


Most Precious Jesus,
I acknowledge You as Lord over all. Nothing is too much that You can’t lead me through. You journey alongside me, giving me strength, taking my burden. You cover me with Your peace and Your love.

I extol You, my sweet Lord. I release praise to You freely from my lips and the whole of my being. Hallelujah!                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment