Tuesday 4 June 2013

One step at a time

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."                        Matt. 6.34

Santiago de Compostela                        Monday,3rd June 2013

Each day has invovled some climbing. It´s not exactly mountaineering, but many of the days´attempts could easily be classed as "hill climbs" especially with a loaded pack on one´s back.

I have a practice that I first utilised on the Camino Frances two years ago. I´ve revived its use for this Camino. My practice essentially is not to look up. when I look up, what I see is the arduous climb that awaits me. I feel tired just looking at it. What I also experienced on the "Frances" is that one can achieve the ascent, only to find a further climb following it.

No, I have long since given away the habit of looking up when facing a climb. Instead I look down, at my feet. I focus on the step I´m taking right now. And, of course, in no time at all, that step is followed by another. So I then focus on that one. Before I know it, I have climbed the grade and it´s generally without loss of breath. If I had done the same climb looking up, I could easily be out of breath before completing half the climb.

Some of the sights that come as we climb are truly wonderful. I´ve seen glorious sunrises and breathtaking vistas. One of the most poignant sights I came across was on Day 4 of my Camino when walking between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes. This day involved an ascent of 405m up Alto da Portela Grande. Along this way a memorial has been erected to one, Michelle Kleist, who is described as a Camino lover who hoped to complete many caminos but who was tragically killed in a plane crash at Moree, Australia in 2011. Pilgrims have left many personal mementos and messages at this site, a very real testimony to the Camino spirit.

Today, my step-by-step journey brought me to this present destination of Santiago de Compostela. I shall stay here for two days and then my life pilgrimage continues to other places. But for now, it´s so good to be here. Many, many steps have preceded today and, God willing, I may have many more steps to come. However many I may be blessed with, I hope I can truly relish each individual step as it comes.

And this is surely God´s way for me. He tells me not to concern myself about tomorrow. If I do concern myself so then I will miss out on the present. Sometimes it takes an experience such as a Camino for us to realise and appreciate the joy of the present. But I can live for every moment wherever I am and, if the moment happens to be not so good, I remind myself that I am not alone. He is with me, and He will walk with me through it all - good and not-so-good.





Dear Lord,

It is so good to arrive in Santiago. I thank You for Your protection of me along the way. I thank You for each step I have taken and for the knowledge that You have walked with me. I commit every future step to You. May we continue the journey together.                                     Amen.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment