Monday 24 June 2013

Always There

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."                  Matt. 28.20

Malaga                         Monday, 24th June 2013

I´m now into the final days of this Spanish Sojourn. I pre-booked several nights in Malaga thinking to have some restful, easy days in the sun before returning to Australia, and winter.

This time is like the third facet of my trip. The first was the Camino and the discipline, together with the enjoyment, of walking. I recall the God days and the neighbour days. I reminisce now over my companions, the new friends I made as we walked and shared together. Already I am receiving emails from some of them. Our conversation was rarely superficial. We shared part of life as we walked together. We shared our lives as we talked. At times the talk was deeply intimate, spiritual and often of God. It seemed natural to share so. But then, sharing about God is neither un-natural nor difficult for me.

The second phase of my visit embraced the times spent in the great cities of southern Spain. There was less opportunity to connect with others during this time. I guess we had a common goal - that of sightseeing, but each seemed to be involved in their own agenda and timetable.

This did not bother me. Perhaps unlike many others, my priority was not to see as many sights as possible. I was more interested in "experiencing" the places I visited. I did not need to cover every ancient monument and national treasure. I was more concerned for spiritual encounters in those places I visited, places where faith had been put into action down through the centuries. I was not disappointed. On my own I had God-encounters which just wouldn´t have happened (or, at least, not been as powerful) in company with others.Was this a selfish time? I choose to think not! Instead I look on it as intensely personal and deeply intimate. Throughout this time God was so obviously present.

And now, I have transitioned into what I could call holiday mode. For a couple of days now I have spent more time in conscious relaxation. The hotel has a swimming pool. Across the road is the beach and the gentle, warm waters of the Mediterranean. Granted, this morning I visited the sights of Malaga, the Cathedral where I was certainly conscious of God´s presence, then a challenging but rewarding climb up to the Castillo Gibralfaro, with its reminders of the chequered history of this region and the breathtaking views from the top - of creation, both God-made and man-made.

Then I descended to the city and its awakening commercial bent. I did some "touristy" shopping before returning to the hotel, and the pleasure of a swim.

These days are restful and relaxing and, just maybe, it would be easy to not be aware of God. I´m thankful that I can´t do this. I have long been conscious that my relationship with Him is for ALL TIME, and for ALL TIMES! I cannot conveniently call Him up and bring Him to mind when I have desperate needs to be met, and then casually ignore Him when all seems to be going well for me. He has committed to me for every second of every day, in fair weather as well as in foul: "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you" (Heb. 13.5). I recall reminding someone that never means "not ever". I cannot dare to remind another of this and not live by it myself. He is always there.

I can easily remember Him in times of need, of trial, and maybe trouble. I call on Him to help me. Just being able to do this helps. Let me eqaully remember Him on sunny days, in times when life is "just great".

Yes, let me always be mindful of Him, and ever thankful.



Lord God,

Paul exhorts me to give thanks in all things. It seems easy to cry out to You when I need help, and then thank You for rescuing me.

Right now, I thank You for the sun shining. I thank You for the delightful view from the terrace of my hotel bedroom. Indeed, I thank You for this entire establishment, for its amenities and its proximity to the beach. I thank You for the time I am able to spend here, for the rest I am obviously enjoying and for the sweet reminiscences that come percolating through my memory.

But most of all, I thank You for You. You are with me as You promised. You are faithful. May I never forget this.

I commit the coming days to You. May Your presence never dim with me.                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment