Wednesday 5 June 2013

Minor destinations

Negreira, Galicia, Spain                                 Wednesday, 5th June 2013

When deciding on this trip to Spain, I committed to walking on to Finisterre and Muxia from Santiago. Finisterre, which means Land´s End was fully believed to be the end of the world - until Columbus proved otherwise! Many pilgrims walk on to Finisterre after reaching Santiago. And so would I!

Today was the day to start, except that I did not want to. On waking, my thoughts were totally against further walking. This didn´t mean I wanted to stay in Santiago. I just didn´t want to walk on.

I had to get out of the Hospederia. I can´t leave for Seville before next Monday because my train tickets are booked. Furthermore, I have a hotel booking for tomorrow night on the way to Finisterre and I will lose the full cost if I don´t take it up. The way was clear - get up and go!

I took a replenishing breakfast before checking out of the Hospederia, then I hit the streets. My departure from Santiago was simply amazing. Though the old part of the city is a maze of streets with twists and turns and only half of the names identified on any decent map, I got onto the right track without any problem. This was good. As well, the day is glorious. It´s fine and clear, and not too hot. The way is absolutely delightful - country lanes and picturesque villages. I realise - to my chagrin - that I´m bursting with life and thoroughly enjoying myself. So, what happened?

Santiago is the culmination of many caminos originating from all over Europe. When you get there you have well and truly arrived. Perhaps to consider any extension to this is something of an anti-climax.

But I know too well that I cannot remain in Santiago, frozen in a time and experience warp. No, life goes on. And so does life´s journeys. Finisterre and Muxia may be minor destinations but, right now, they lie ahead of me. I´m taking my time on this particular walk, but I´m going to give it every bit as much focus, attention and achievement as  applied to Santiago. I cannot live only for the major destinations in life. As surely as God wants me to enjoy the way, step by step so, I believe, He wants me to give myself to the journeys to minor destinations. These can be as delightful, enjoyable and fulfilling as any major expedition.

I see a spiritual parallel to today´s insight. My true, major, all-meaningful destination in my faith walk and life is Heaven. But, unlike Santiago, I cannot determine when I shall arrive. That is totally out of my hands. I am not to dwell on this. I believe, however, that there are a number of minor destinations in God´s plan for me, and I want to give of my utmost to these journeys. Perhaps the simplest "minor destination" I can consider is to help another. Indeed, I may be placed and positioned specifically for such. I would hate to miss out because my focus is elsewhere.

I´ve already seen the need to focus on the step I´m taking right now. A similar approach applies to what might arise in my day. Do I say, "That´s not in my plan" and then dismiss it? Or do I receive it and look for any good I can effect? This is not point scoring for me. Rather, this is me following His example. May I do this, and may I enjoy every minor destination I reach.



Lord Jesus,

You brought me safely to Santiago, and I have thanked You for this. But time has moved on, and so must I. Now I thank You for the Camino Finisterre. I know that You walk with me and I value that. I pray that You will guide me to minor destinations all along this way. Lead me in the right way. Enable me, please, to honour You wherever  I may be and whatever I might do. Thank You.      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment