Saturday 15 June 2013

A Still Day

Be still, and know that I am God.                                        Psalm 46.10

Vejer de la Frontera                   Saturday, 15th June 2013

The Internet suggested Vejer de la Frontera to be the prettiest town in Spain. That was enough for me to book an overnight stay. Since arriving, I've increased the stay to two nights. The place is delightful. One writer describes it as: Crowning a brown hilltop like a spoonful of whipped cream (Elisabeth de Stroumillo - Southern Spain). I agree. From the moment of arrival I have felt peace and serenity in this place.

As the bus brought me from Cadiz yesterday, first along the coast and then a little inland, the words that came into my mind were, "Be still, and know that I am God". I wondered then if my stay here might be extended. And so it has been.

Today, then, is largely a day of rest, a still day in which to quiet myself and give myself more fully to knowing Him. Early this morning, before the heat of the day, I walked. I took what the Tourist Map called Itinerario a pie recomendado - a recommended walking tour. It was an absolute delight and the tranquility was palpable. I gave myself to stillness. I felt His presence.

After breakfast I settled in a part of the hotel (converted from a convent) that oozes peace and welcome. It's like an enclosed cloister, lined with good seating, occasional tables and lush green plants. I was alone. My verse for reflection was from Matthew: "Nor are you to be called 'teacher', for you have one Teacher, the Christ" (Matt. 23.10). I recalled the many things Jesus is to me - Saviour, Lord, brother, friend, encourager, strengthener, protector, fellow-traveller, lover. But today I consider Him as Teacher. And my teacher is the Christ. Christ is "the Chosen One". I therefore see Jesus as chosen by God to teach me.

But what does He teach me? Sitting in the former convent, Jesus showed me how to be still. It was so easy. I remembered how, when on earth, He would leave the others and remove to a quiet place of intimate communion with the Father. And this was happening to me in that moment. Jesus wasn't selfish in doing so. I might even say it was necessary for Him to do so. It reconnected Him with the source. It re-energised and re-vitalised Him for the Father's work that He had so dedicated Himself to.

I dare not suggest such a mission for myself. For now, I simply give myself to the stillness, and to Him. If anything further is to come, this is entirely with Him.



Lord Jesus,

You know the many things You are to me. I acknowledge You in everything, and I thank You. Today I receive You particularly as Teacher. I open myself to whatever You would show me.

In my early morning walk around the Old Town I experienced calm, peace and intimacy. I feel sure that You have brought me to this place, engineering this day of rest. I lay the day before You. I am ready, Lord. I give myself into Your care, for teaching, sharing, fellowship, revelation, intimacy - and love.

Thank You.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment