Sunday 9 June 2013

Journey´s End?

Perhaps I will stay with you awhile, or even spend the winter, so that you can help me on my journey wherever I go.                1 Cor. 16.6

Santiago de Compostela                                         Sunday, 9th June 2013


I returned to Santiago this morning by bus from Muxia. This particular Camino (Porto to Santiago, and then Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia) came to a close mid afternoon yesterday when I strolled alongside the ocean for the last couple of kilometres into Muxia.

Walking through north east Galicia has been refreshing and replenishing. Many times I have been reminded of my native Wales. The sea, as always, invigorates me and the coastline - with its rugged headlands and hidden bays - is just wonderful. Then there is the upland country with green fields, tiny hamlets (sadly, few coffee stops) and forest ways. The weather has also created just the right atmosphere, with misty mornings, light and intermittent rain and gentle breezes.

But the environment and habitat is just part of the Camino experience. A vital aspect for me is provided by my fellow peregrinos. From Porto to Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia I have met so many kind souls and kindred spirits, from many different countries. Language has made it easier to connect with some than with others, yet the essence of the Camino seems to facilitate communion with all you meet. I have been blessed to share as I have. I feel some relationships will continue. None will be forgotten.

And so, is the journey ended? Of course not! Certainly, I have reached a destination today but, God willing, there will be many more destinations ahead of me. For me, the immediate future leads to Madrid, then to the cities and towns of the south - Seville, Cordoba, Jaen, Granada, Malaga etc. But it could so easily be (and indeed soon will be) back home and into some more normal pattern of life.

Whatever it may be, I try to look on each new day as a fesh adventure with God. I have been blessed with wonderful experiences arising out of the most ordinary circumstances. I pray for this to continue as my journey most definitely goes on.

I pray also for the ongoing journeys of my new Camino friends, and for the continuing journeys of all who may read this reflection. I would say: be open to the possibilities life holds for you. Enjoy the journey. Bon voyage!




Dear Lord,

Thank You for walking with me through this Camino. Thank You that You´re with me every day.

Thank You for the new friends I´ve made. I commit them to You, together with all my other friends - those I already know and those who may be reading this now. May we all know Your protection and guidance of us. Be with us as we continue this journey through life. Let us feel Your love, and enjoy Your blessing. Thank You. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peter, glad to hear that your trek is going well, it sounds like you are having a lovely time, especially the scenery. Do hope you are keeping well along the way, Jane.

    ReplyDelete