Wednesday 14 March 2012

Unlikely blessing


He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels.              Gen. 12.16


The story of Abram is amazing, yet it is just one of many remarkable stories in God’s dealings with His people.

Before even leaving Mesopotamia, God had spoken to Abram, telling him to leave all he was familiar with and comfortable in for an unknown destination. God’s promise was to make Abram into a great nation and to bless him.

Abram had left Mesopotamia with his father, Terah, and other members of the family. They had settled at Haran, a pagan place which doubtless suited Terah as he was on idolater. He died there, and then Abram and the rest of his family moved on. But we read that they had accumulated possessions and acquired people in Haran. There are indications of a significant measure of wealth for Abram and, undoubtedly, some if not all of this wealth had come to them while they sojourned in the pagan place of Haran.

After a time in Canaan, famine drove them to Egypt. Here, because of her beauty, and fearful of punishment as her husband, Abram passed Sarai off as his sister. She was taken into Pharaoh’s palace, and Abram was given many gifts. Pharaoh, however, discerned the truth when God inflicted serious disease on him and his family. Pharaoh released Sarai to Abram and sent him on his way with his wife and everything he had (v20).

God blessed Abram with material provision and the circumstances in which He worked are truly extraordinary. God used a stay in a pagan place and an action of deceit by Abram to bless him with provision and possessions that would set him up with a significant profile among men. It would surely have been more reasonable to expect God to punish, or at least caution or rebuke, Abram in both these instances. Instead God chose to bless him.

I can only say that the ways of the Lord are truly wonderful. I cannot guess what He will do. I would have got it wrong with Abram. I could quite possibly get it wrong for me.

Abram, who became Abraham, was a man of great faith. Indeed, he had to wait an extremely long time for the son God had promised him. Why should I get concerned for a quick answer and speedy action from God? Where is my faith? Abraham “believed” and it was credited to him as righteousness. Let me also believe. Let me believe and not be anxious for God’s move. I must trust Him to move when He will, not when I want it. This is so difficult. Yet, who said faith is easy? I choose the way of faith. I choose to believe God. I choose to release myself into His care, and into His plan and purpose for me. I choose not to get anxious, but to look to him – in everything and for everything. I choose to allow him to be everything to me.






Lord God,

I come to You in humble adoration. You are worthy. I exalt you. I worship and adore You. I ask You to receive my grateful praise, thanksgiving and worship.

I struggle, Lord, in faith. Each time I think I’m growing in faith it gets tested, and dented. But I ever have a choice that I can exercise, and I choose today to confirm my love and commitment to You.

I desire you more than anything else. I come to You and ask you to draw me closer. Let me hear you speak to me. Let me feel the beat of Your heart. Draw me in. I seek greater intimacy. I pray for a deeper, growing desire to know You. I seek revelation and sweet, holy encounters.

You are my everything. Nothing else matters. Hear my prayer. Search my heart. Change anything about me that needs changing. Only let me know You. Let me walk and talk with You. Let me experience the whole of my being in You. I’m desperate for You. I surrender. Take me, Lord, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment