Friday 23 March 2012

Be...


When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless.”                Gen. 17.1


Abram and Sarai had used a surrogate mother in their attempt to fulfil God’s promise of offspring to them. It was not God’s way. There is a clear lesson for me here. If God makes a promise He will fulfil it without any help or interference from me.

There is, however, something for me to do. As with Abram, God’s faithful servant, I need to be obedient. Faith needs to be accompanied by the “obedience that comes from faith.”

Abraham later demonstrated his obedience to God when asked to sacrifice his son Isaac.

When in a waiting pattern, it is difficult to know just how to be obedient to God. The human, and worldly, side of me feels that it must be doing. Even as I write this I sense God’s reminder that He first wants me to be, and he will organise any doing. This is so alien to the ways of the world, and I struggle with it.

Still, it comes back to me, And with it comes reminders from God’s Word:

Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46.10).
...Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her (Luke 10.42).






Lord,

I confess that again I am restless. I want to be doing – for You.

Today I am sensing a reminder for being rather than doing. Your Word requires obedience of me. I’m not exactly sure what that warrants at the present time. So I offer myself to You. I come to You and sit at Your feet. I wait upon You. If there is anything I am meant to do, I ask You to show me clearly. Meanwhile I will take each day as it comes, looking to You for all things, and resting in You at all times. Thank You for my life. Thank you for being with me.                                                                                                                                              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment