Sunday 12 February 2012

Here I Am!


“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”          Rev. 3.20


These are well-known words of Jesus. What is not so well known, or perhaps not so well remembered, is that they form part of the message He sends to the church in Laodicea.

He has accused the church of being lukewarm – neither hot nor cold. This is the saddest position for any church, or any believer, or any person in fact, to be in. The church in Laodicea could not, or did not, supply healing for the spiritually sick nor refreshment for the spiritually weary. Jesus warned them that He was about to spit them out of His mouth.

Yet before He has finished His message He is extending this wonderful invitation to them. He says: “Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.” Then He offers Himself, His company and His leading to them.

Verse 20 is sometimes used when inviting a person to receive Jesus, maybe for the first time. This is good. But, as the Revelation context shows, the message is also for those who already know Him but who are not doing so well. The Laodiceans were lukewarm, perhaps they had become complaisant. Maybe, like the Ephesians, they had lost the spark and sparkle of the first love. Others may find themselves closer to Christ than the Laodiceans. Still others may be farther away.

I believe this message is for everyone, wherever they might stand. Jesus is at the door. He is knocking. As He knocks I hear Him calling, “Here I am. Won’t you let me in?” He can be heard through the closed door. Anyone who will open the door will receive Jesus. He will come in and eat, and share with the individual. He will come in and remain for as long as He is allowed. He will feed, strengthen, love, equip and fulfil us as we accept and receive Him.







Lord God,

I thank You from this reminder today. You are truly there for everyone. Whether we are hot, lukewarm or cold, near to You or far, far away, You stand at the doorway for us all.

You knock, Lord. I see a connection here with Your perpetual intercession at the Father’s right hand for all the saints. Just as You intercede without ceasing, so You are ever at the door, waiting to be heard and to be allowed in.

I pray for those who are far from You, who do not acknowledge You anywhere in their lives. May they hear You knock and call them by name. I pray they will receive Your revelation, open the door and let You in.

I pray for those who already know You but who do not commune and share with You as they might. Some may be closer than others, but all need more of You. I pray they will all hear You knocking. I pray they might hear You say, “You are away from me. Come back! Come closer.” I pray they will hear and respond.

I pray also for myself. My desire is to get much, much closer to You. I believe You are always at the door and waiting. Oh, that I might hear Your voice clearly, beckoning me, inviting me to come closer, to go further with You.

Thank You, Lord for today’s message. May all I have prayed for hear You and respond with open welcome to You. May we bless You as we receive Your blessing of us.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment