Sunday 5 February 2012

God’s command


And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.                       1 John 3.23


There are two parts to God’s command. The first is to believe in Jesus. There is, of course, much to this command. To believe in Jesus leads to becoming His disciple, to following Him and desiring, more and more, to grow like Him. This is a process. Gradually the believer becomes more Christ-like.

Jesus poured forth love on all He met. Time and again the gospels relate how He looked on people “with compassion”. The love that Jesus has for us is mirrored in the love we extend to one another, Jesus said, “As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”

In both parts of this command there is room for me to grow. I believe in Jesus but I can grow even more like Him. And, as much as I aim to love others, I know there is more I can do.

God has commanded, and He looks for obedience more than sacrifice. Willingness is a good start.






Lord God,

I receive Your command and I heed it. I do believe in Jesus, I am His disciple and I want to become more like Him.

I desire also to be able to love others to the greatest capacity possible.

For both these aims I can apply myself. I pray that I will do all that I can, but I ask also for Your help. I pray that You will take me further. There is just so far I can go, and only so much I can do. But You can do more. Please help me. Hear my prayer and draw me further into partnership with You.

I offer You obedience. I want to be ever obedient to You. I don’t always know what You would have of me and so I ask You to show me, please, in Jesus’ Name.                                Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment