Sunday 20 November 2016

Troubled

After seeing this Jesus was troubled in spirit, and declared, “Very truly, I tell you, one of you will betray me.”                                                                                                          John 13.21


Jesus is troubled in spirit. I don’t think of Jesus as being troubled in His spirit. I see Him as above this. This present realisation that He is in fact troubled could be disconcerting for me, but it isn’t. I find it encouraging.

There are times when I feel troubled in spirit. Inside me there comes an alarm, an agitation, even a fear. Often it has no sound factual basis. It might be a vivid imagination playing tricks with me. But the troubled spirit is real.

What Jesus might have been envisioning when His spirit became troubled was far from imaginary. He had quoted from Scripture: The one who ate my bread has lifted his head against me. (v.18) He now tells the disciples that one of them will betray Him. He has a sensing of the torture and torment that lies ahead. And He is troubled in spirit.

The cause of Jesus’ troubled spirit may well be more real and more threatening than anything I might experience, but it helps me greatly.

When I “freak out” with concern or worry, the rationalisation of my mind to tell me than I’m worrying unduly, that I’m making a mountain out of a molehill, doesn’t really help. My emotional state takes over from any logical thinking. But when I stir in my spirit the reminder of Jesus being troubled, it somehow connects me with Him in a strong, real and purposeful way. My spirit calms my emotions and I draw close to Him. I remember that He overcame the very real trouble that beset Him. And He will walk beside me through whatever I face, be it real or imaginary.





Lord Jesus.

You knew trial and testing, pain and anguish. And You experienced a troubled spirit. I remind myself of this and I embrace You, in all of my life but particularly in those times when I am hit by unnatural or unrealistic challenge or anxiety. I remember that You are with me, and will walk through alongside me. Thank You, Jesus.             Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment