Saturday 26 November 2016

Acceptance

Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times.”                                              John 13.38


Peter had said he would lay down his life for Jesus. Jesus countered by telling Peter he would, rather, deny Him three times. Further events bore this out.

Did Peter want to deny Jesus? I don’t think so! But the human psyche is a tricky thing which often leads us places where we don’t really want to go. Paul readily confesses: “I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. (Rom. 7.15)

I know this experience only too well. I may be resolved in a good thing, and then I stuff it up by doing something silly which I really didn’t want to do. I am reminded that I am, at best, a sinner. And I need God’s grace. I will not save myself. Indeed, I don’t need to! It has already been done by Jesus. So, what do I do? To the best of my meagre resolve, I reckon I give myself to Him. When I become aware that a wrong or silly act threatens, if I have the strength I call out to Him for help. If, however, I give in to the threat or temptation, then I need to turn to Him at the earliest opportunity, seek His forgiveness, and ask Him to lead me through.

Tradition tells us that Peter did indeed lay down his life for Christ. But this was after he was wonderfully filled with the Holy Spirit.

As I commit to live with Jesus, the Spirit and the Father, I must be willing to turn, instantly, to them when I falter. I cannot live without them.





Holy God,

I am so aware of my own un-holiness. I falter and fall when I don’t want to. My desire is to live fully, and holy, in You. But my own sinful nature denies me. Help me, please. Forgive my failings, strengthen me in Your Spirit and lead me in Your truth, in Jesus’ name I ask.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment