Saturday 5 November 2016

The cost of friendship

So the chief priests planned to put Lazarus to death as well, since it was on account of him that many of the Jews were deserting and were believing in Jesus.
                                                                                                                   John 12.10,11     

Lazarus was a friend of Jesus, and Jesus had done great things for him. Thus, Lazarus became a target for the authorities who planned to do away with him. We’re not told if Lazarus was, in fact, put to death, but the threat was real and menacing.

Through the ages many have become friends of Jesus and have experienced much good from Him. And, similarly to Lazarus, many have become targets for the authorities, under threat of death and, sometimes, subject to unspeakable treatment at the hands of bigoted, unmerciful people. Today, in the twenty-first century, it is estimated that more people than ever face persecution, even death, because of their friendship with Jesus.

Knowing God, and walking with Jesus can be a most dangerous activity. A sure test of faith comes if we are ever challenged about our relationship with Him.

I love God and I treasure my communion with Him. But I have not been seriously challenged about my faith, nor truly tested in my loyalty to Him. I pray that, if ever such testing should come, I will be strong, peaceful and quietly assured in my affirmation of my Lord and Saviour, and true friend.





Lord Jesus,

I can only wonder if Lazarus was ever tested over You. But I concern myself more with how I might respond if ever my friendship with You is queried or challenged.

I pray that Your Holy Spirit would strengthen me. I so admire Polycarp of old, and I would seek to demonstrate his deep conviction and loyalty to You. I am weak but You are strong. Imbue me with Your strength, in Your powerful name I ask.                 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment