Wednesday 2 November 2016

Fragrance

Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus’ feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.                                                                                                                          John 12.3


Mary did the most extravagant act to Jesus. You might say she gave of her very best to Him. She was totally focused on Him and lived for Him.

The true believer is totally devoted to Jesus, seeing Him first and foremost in all of life. And, like Mary, devoted ones will give of their very best to Jesus.

Mary’s deed filled the house with fragrance. And so with us! As we follow Jesus in full devotion and love so we will create and exude the sweetest scent to our great and gracious God.

The fragrance of love cannot be denied nor ignored. People will notice it. Hopefully, they will come to the source, the very fragrance of God.

But Mary was criticised! Judas had his own agenda which centred on money and greed. He took the first opportunity to attack Mary. Similarly we need to be prepared for criticism and attack as we follow Jesus in an alien and often hostile environment.

As Jesus vindicated, supported and strengthened Mary, so He will do the same for us. I am reminded that I am yoked to Him and, together, we form an inseparable partnership.





Lord Jesus,

Mary loved You and she poured out her love for You with the precious perfume that anointed Your feet.

I yearn to pour out my love for You. I pray for a sweet scent to pervade my life in You. May people notice and, I pray, be drawn to You. Help me to ignore the critics and the knockers. May I overcome in You and may I witness in truth to the love and mercy of our great and wonderful God.

I love You and invite Your perfume into the whole of my life.                         Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment