Saturday 16 March 2013

Sent



So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.        Exodus 3.10


These words, so simply stated, are among the most powerful, challenging and life-changing in the whole of the Scriptures.

Moses is well advanced in years and has himself a comfortable position tending his father-in-law’s flocks. He is just about set for retirement.

Then – suddenly (God seems to enjoy working in suddenlies) – he has an encounter with God, a most powerful and significant event. God captures Moses’ attention through the burning bush. As Moses approaches, he is reminded that he’s standing on holy ground.

God Tells of His concern for the treatment His people are experiencing in Egypt. He has decided the time to act is now and He has chosen Moses as his man. Moses is flabbergasted. He remonstrates that he is nobody, whereupon he gets an amazing response from God, “I will be with you.” This is a promise from God that is not to be taken lightly. What God promises, He will do. His promise to be with, and to sustain, His people is repeated often throughout the Scriptures. It is real. It is true. I have been blessed to ‘hear’ these same words spoken by God directly to me. And I praise Him for them.

Moses continues to make excuses to God concerning his unsuitability for the task ahead. And God persists in countering his arguments and endorsing him for the mission. Moses is reminded that he has been commissioned by the great I am.

There was no mistake in God’s choosing Moses. He was carefully selected by God and his whole life had been a preparation – and a most interesting preparation at that – for this time.

At a point of significant change in my life I started to suggest to God that I was too old, whereupon He immediately responded that I was to “Remember Moses”. I have subsequently developed quite an affinity with the man to whom God spoke out of a burning bush. God has spoken to me, but not yet as clearly as He did to Moses concerning mission. Nevertheless I believe there are Godly purposes still to be outworked in my life. I remember this now and recommit myself to God for whatever He might choose to do.

The words “So now, go” are so simple, so straightforward. The journey that lay before Moses was anything but simple, but his mission was real, achievable and totally fulfilling – because God was with him. Hallelujah!








Lord God,

I am excited. I reaffirm my wish and desire to serve You and to do my very best to live in obedience to You. Whether there is work ahead or whether my purpose is simply to sit at Your feet, I offer myself wholeheartedly.

Your will is what I seek, to live in the centre of Your will. To enjoy continuing intimacy with You is the heart of my desire.

I know I am not too old, for You have told me so. Whatever might lie ahead, I just want to journey with You. You are my reason for living and when my purpose in You is over in this life, I ask You to take me speedily home to be with You.

Lord God, You are my portion and my delight. Lead me on. May I come closer to You. May You draw me ever nearer. I ask for relationship with the Triune God, with Father, Son and Spirit. I dare to ask for fellowship, for sharing together in social intercourse, for partnership in joint participation, for close mutual association, and for intimacy. I present these requests to You on the promise contained in Your Word: Ask and you will receive. I humbly ask, Lord. I expect to receive. I believe. I have faith and I ask for more faith. I thank You for who You are. I love You and I want to tell You so.

Receive my love. Receive me. May we journey together, through this day and through this year. In Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                                  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment