Friday 27 January 2012

The Lion


Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.   Rev. 5.5


No one of us is worthy to break the seal and open the scroll. No mere man has ever been, or ever will be, capable of breaking the seal. But the Son of Man, the Son of Almighty God alone is fitted to open the scroll and its seven seals.

All I need, all I can ever want I will find in Jesus. I am not worthy, yet He makes me worthy. I cannot do it for myself, nor do I need to, for He has already done it.

On the cross He cried out “It is finished.” With these words He signalled the beginning for me.

As I embrace Him, of course I want to be a better person in myself. But I do not fool myself that my salvation is anything at all to do with my actions, save the signal act of turning to Jesus and receiving him as Saviour and Lord.

No, my actions do not bring me salvation! Rather, my good actions are my response to his most generous act of salvation. I try. I do not always succeed. But I keep trying.






Lord God,

I love You. I thank You for Your wonderful and gracious gift of salvation.

As part of my response, O Holy One, I seek to be a better person. I know that does not change anything with You. I cannot earn greater merit, nor can I jeopardise – by failure – the sovereign grace that You extend to me.

But I want to be the very best I am able to be – for You.

When you love someone, you want to please them. Lord God, My Dear Father, I love you and I seek to please You with all of my being. Please know this.                                   Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Loving these blogs Peter - so deeply reflective on the centrality of Jesus Christ and 'him crucified' - thank you for your inspirational words.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete