Sunday 15 January 2012

Him first


For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.       
                                                                      1Cor. 2.2


Paul has made a determination. He has put Christ first to the extent that his full focus will be upon his Lord and Saviour.

He refers to the crucified Christ. This is the anointed one of God who died for humanity’s sins. The crucifixion is followed by the resurrection through which Jesus overcame death, the price of sin. Thus in the crucified and resurrected Christ we are freed from sin and enabled to live in, and enjoy, sweet relationship with God the Father.

Paul took Jesus as the concentrated focus of his life and his living. He put him before everything else. He lived for his Saviour and spread the message of his Saviour wherever he went. This connects strongly with my desire to Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness (Matt. 6.33). This is my desire. I’m not sure how I rate in achievement.

Jesus Himself encourages me to ask, “Ask and it will be given to you” (Matt.7.7). He also says, “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer” (Matt.21.22). I do believe. I believe that God yearns to show me His kingdom and to share with me secrets of some of its mysteries. I am slowly coming to believe that, after seeking His kingdom and righteousness as a priority, then all other things will be given to me as well. I still struggle with this, perhaps because of the work ethic of the past which puts the onus on me to provide.

Yet God’s word is clear and I am remiss not to receive it in truth and believe it fully without falter. I believe God can, and will, help me in my unbelief. He is faithful and He is just. He is for me. Let me never forget this.





Lord God, Mighty Creator,

I salute You as the great and mighty God. I acknowledge the crucified and resurrected Christ as my Saviour. I embrace the person and the power of the Holy Spirit in all of my being.

I come before You in humble confession. I confess that I have not fully and truly taken hold of Your Word that assures me, as I seek Your kingdom and righteousness before all else, so everything else will be given to me. Lord, I have not fully believed for Your provision. I confess this and I repent of it. I ask You to forgive me. I ask also for a gift of faith to believe that You will not only provide for my every need but will do so abundantly.

I do believe, yet I ask You to strengthen me in those areas where my belief could be stronger. I desire to follow Paul and put Jesus absolutely before anything and everything else. I want to live for Jesus, with Him and in Him. I lay everything before You. I want only Your will to be done in my life.                                                                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment