Saturday 21 January 2012

In the name of...


David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.”                                   1 Sam.17.45


In all appearances in the natural David seems to be no match for the Philistine in any way. But David realises that the fight is not against purely physical odds. Goliath, as representative of the Philistines, has dared to stand up against Almighty God. David realised this truth early on in the day when he asked the men standing near him,

            “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes
this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he
should defy the armies of the living God?”                           (v 29)

David goes into battle against this ugly foe, not in his own strength but in the power of the God of Israel, all-mighty and good and just.

There will be Philistines who will seek to stand in my way and try to exercise control over me. I need to be like David and discern when these threats are not simply against me but indicate blatant defiance of the living God. In such instances the full power and force of heaven is with me, and I may be assured of victory if I will but enter the battle.





Lord God,

I receive this greatly encouraging word from David’s story. I receive it, and I thank You for it, for I know it comes from You.

I know also that You are my source. When the Philistine seeks to attack me, I ask for discernment to know that You have been defied. Let me then go forward into the battle, not merely reliant upon you, but confident in You that the battle will be won and the enemy vanquished.

Lord, mighty God, You are my God and my King. I salute You. I honour You and ask that my whole life might speak in testimony to You love, mercy, grace and blessing.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment