Thursday 19 January 2012

Boasting


If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.               2 Cor. 11.30



Paul knows, by now, that his weakness opens the way for him to experience the super-abundant strength of God’s grace. He boasts, therefore, not in what he has done but in what God has done.

He goes on to tell how he suffered from “a thorn in the flesh” and three times he pleaded with the Lord to take it from him...
           
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made
            perfect in weakness.”                                                             2 Cor. 12.9a

To Paul this is yet more encouragement –
           
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that
            Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight
            in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.
For when I am weak, then I am strong.                               2 Cor. 12.9b.10

How differently Paul sees weaknesses from the way in which the world would see them! And how different Paul’s boasting is from the boasting of the world!

Where do I fit in this? Certainly, I know that my weakness allows God’s power to flourish and succeed. I don’t know if I am yet able to boast in and of my weakness in quite the same way that Paul does. But I am making progress. I no longer see my weakness as a drawback, or as debilitating. No, it releases me into the fullness of God’s power.

I have experienced much of God’s grace. I am fitted to open my arms wide and receive more of His grace. Do I want this? Most certainly I do! I want God’s grace to be my full sufficiency. I want to live completely in His strength and not in my own. If I should ever become aware of a thorn in my flesh, I want to surrender it to God and ask Him to lead me through in His grace and in His strength.

And yes, I want to boast – outrageously in Him! He is my rock. He is my strength and my salvation. He is my everything. Praise the Lord!









Lord God,

Again I come before You with thanksgiving. I thank You for reminding me that Your grace is sufficient for me. I come before You in weakness. I lay all of my weaknesses at Your feet. When I am weak, then You are strong. Precious Lord, be strong in me today. Let Your power rest upon me and lead me. May I serve You in my weakness, moving only in Your power and Your strength.

I would boast in You. I pray this might develop in me in the most natural way. I cannot boast in myself. I know I have nothing in me to be boastful of. Thank You, dear Lord.

Let me know You more. Let me experience Your mighty power at work in my life. Let me boast freely and long in you.

I kneel at Your feet. I salute Your power and my weakness. You are the great God in whom nothing is impossible. I can do anything when Your power invades my weakness.

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Mighty God.                                                              Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you this is inspirational - I would love to be there!

    Much love
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete