Thursday 25 August 2011

Prayer


One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.                                                                                                                                      Luke 6.12


Prayer was important to Jesus. Seemingly He had no direct need to pray – He was without sin, so there was nothing for Him to confess. He was God, totally God, so there was no real need for him to press in with any mortal need or requirement. So, why then did He pray? Regularly and in solitude, often in the night or the early morning He would remove Himself to a mountainside and pray. Why?

I believe it was all to do with His communion with the Father and the Holy Spirit. As Jesus prayed thus, the Triune God came together in unity and oneness. And because Jesus was Himself God, the Godhead came together in perfect manner.

I do not have the perfection of Christ, but I still need to press into God in prayer. Because I am a sinner, I need to present myself before God in confession and repentance. Because I am not God in myself, there will be times when I seek to make lowly, mortal requests of Him. This is all part of prayer for me.

But the greater part is to share what Jesus knew as prayer – to seek to enter into wholeness before the Father; to join with Almighty God in the closest, most powerful way. I shall never meet God in the same way that Jesus used to meet with Him when He was on earth, but I shall seek to meet Him, and meet with Him, in the unique way that He has ordained for me. I have a special relationship with God. I know there are secrets He wants to share with me. I hope there are mysteries He wants to reveal to me. I believe there is a whole lot of love He wants to lavish upon me and, through me, to reach to other people. I seek more of His grace, more of His mercy, His truth, His justice, and His faithfulness. I seek for myself, a greater portion of faith and a greater anointing in Holy Spirit power.

All these things are possible as I seek God in prayer.



Lord God, Loving Father,

I am conscious of my many failings which I lay before You as I seek audience with You. I confess and repent of my sins, each and every one. I ask You to take them, and forgive me. I ask You to strengthen me against future sin and lead me, rather, in paths of righteousness.

I declare You to be the source of everything I might ever need. I rejoice in You. I marvel at Your power, Your greatness, Your richness, and the richness of everything I have in You. Above all else, I treasure the relationship I have with You. I pray for a secret place of meeting with You where I can present myself as Jesus did when He sought the mountainside. This place is not a physical location, but a place where my spirit can be powerfully, lovingly, deeply touched and intermingled and interwoven with Your Holy Spirit. This secret place is in my heart. With what freedom I have I release my heart to You. I ask You to come in in greater and growing measure. I am yours, Lord.                                        Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment