Monday 8 August 2011

Reflection

Monday, 8th August 2011

I went for a walk today, the first in over two weeks. It wasn't a long walk, maybe 5km, but it was good.

In the time I've been home, I've done so much sleeping. In no previous travelling have I experienced such a lengthy "body clock re-adjustment" on returning home. Is this a sign of age? I wonder!

As well as sleeping, another major aspect of the last couple of weeks has impacted me greatly. This is the re-connecting with people - family, friends and acquaintances. Even local shop people comment, "It's good to see you back. We missed you." It's a sweet thing to be missed when one is absent. And it's a joyous experience to pick up the relationship when one returns. The sheer volume of this in recent days has filled me with gratitude that I am blessed with such an abundance of friends and fellow-journeyers.

This has also been a vivid and present reminder of what I considered to be the clearest insight to come from my Camino experience, that being the prime importance of relationships in my life. While I was away I revisited several existing, even long-standing, relationships. I also experienced and enjoyed a number of new relationships. Many of my relationships derive from the relationship I have with God.

When I moved on from Spain and spent time on the most delightful Greek island, I reflected on the joy of simplicity in living. In our ever-progressive modern world thoughts of living simply raise quite a challenge. But, I believe, it is a challenge to be taken up, rather than excused.

The common denominator for me in both these significant life factors, is God. My "gospel" is a simple one: God loves me! All of my life is based on this. And the relationships I enjoy with so many people are enabled and sustained by the relationship that I enjoy with God.

I haven't always had this intimate relationship. Indeed, there was an extended time when no relationship at all was acknowledged by me - and didn't that reflect on my quality of life! In time, God drew me to Him in exquisite relationship, which deepens as the journey unfolds.

For some years this journey has been reflected somewhat in my prayer journal. On a fairly regular basis (most days in fact) I read a portion of God's Word and then reflect on what He may want to reveal to me or want me to discover in my meditation on it. This is no academic exercise. This is my "God Time". It is a time when He may give me revelation of His love and purpose. I often find myself journeying way beyond the immediate verse or quote of the day.

I have found immense blessing in this. I've also wondered if others could be touched by my experience and similarly blessed. And so, from time to time I plan to post extracts from my prayer journal in the hope that God will use these to speak to others, and draw them further into loving, intimate relationship with Him.









No comments:

Post a Comment