Monday 15 August 2011

Daily Life


This is my comfort in my distress,
     that your promise gives me life.                            Psalm 119.50


This verse reinforces for me the essential connection between my life in God and my earthly life. When trials befall me and I possibly experience distress, these things are caused by and in this world. Discomfort and disadvantage come out of daily life in the natural. At such times it is not difficult to dissociate God. I may be tempted to think of Him as ‘high and lifted up’, as distant, remote and certainly removed from my struggles. How wrong I would be to think this way. But how eager Satan is to have me think so?

My “life” comes from God’s promises. His Word contains the most wonderful encouragement for me. Not least is His constant assurance that He is with me at all times. And this includes, yes especially includes, the rotten and messy situations, the time when I could be tempted (though this is Satan’s activity, I’ll warrant) to feel that I have so let God down that I can’t possibly turn to Him. Anyway, He wouldn’t be there for me. What lies!

I have experienced this. I have felt so wretched at one time in particular that I carried for a long time the sense of having let God down. I carried it, that is, until God challenged me with a clear reminder that He had forgiven me, and so should I. How liberating! How wonderful to know something of the extent of His love. And what a reminder of the life that is in His promises.



Loving Father and Source of All Life,

I thank You that You have drawn me to You. I thank You that You accompany me on every step of the journey as I allow You. I thank You for the many and wonderful promises in Your Word that give me life.

Yes, Lord, my life is in You – all of my life. I receive You into my struggles, I look to You in the time of temptation, I rest in You when I am weary, and I seek to abide in You at all times.

Your Word is filled with promises. I seem to discover fresh assurances each day. I thank You for the truth of each and every promise and I pray the reality of all of them into my life.

Thank You, Loving Father, Glorious God.                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment