Sunday 3 November 2019

Justice and judgment

“For I, the LORD, love justice; 
I hate robbery and iniquity. 
In my faithfulness I will reward them 
and make an everlasting covenant with them.”              Isa 61.8


My God is great. He is powerful, all-mighty, all-loving, kind and gracious. He is forgiving, but He is also just. He will not tolerate injustice.

The Israelites had been extremely bad in their behaviour towards God. They had turned away from Him, spurning His sovereignty and love, and giving themselves over to alien ways. God was both disappointed and angry with his people. In His justice he sought to punish them. He did so by utilising foreign powers to invade the land and take His people captive. In captivity, the Israelites suffered. Both Assyria and Babylon were ruthless masters. God’s people were well and truly punished. God’s justice had been served.

Now was the time for God’s promise to be fulfilled. He had said He would return His people to their own land at the end of seventy years. He did so. (The wonderful love of God is seen in His fulfilment of all His promises. Praise Him!) The people returned home, and God rewarded them richly.

However, the alien countries that God had used to punish His people had overdone the treatment they had dished out. Rather than just punishment they had persecuted the chosen of the Lord. The Lord saw this hateful activity and brought judgment and punishment on these pagan offenders.

God is just, and His justice will be served. I am strengthened by this. I may well be judged and maybe punished by Him in time, but I shall know that it will be just – and merciful.



Mighty God, 
Even though I try to do what is right by You, I do not always succeed. I believe that I will be judged by You one day. I am not fearful of this because I know You are just and fair. I throw myself on Your mercy, believing all will be well. Thank You.            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment