Monday 18 June 2012

What do we live by?


We live by faith, not by sight.            2 Cor. 5.7


Here is a ground-breaking, totally life-changing verse. I feel God is further reinforcing His message to me. I link this verse, at this time, with two other Scriptures, one from the New Testament and one from the Old Testament. First, from the New Testament:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Heb. 11.1)

I think I need to interpret this not as “What I am presently sure of. What I presently feel certain of that I do not see.” No, rather I take it as “What I want to live in surety of. What I want to be certain of that perhaps I do not see.” I have answered this with what I have written on a slip of paper I keep in my prayer journal: Yet not my will, but yours be done.
I want to live in God’s will. I want to live in full surrender to God. I want to trust in God for all things and to be led by Him in all that I do.

This leads me to the Old Testament verses:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.      Prov. 3.5-8

I take this passage as a whole. In “Godly-foolishness” I do not look to my own abilities and devices but lean on Him, I rely on Him and look to Him in all things. This does not mean that I ignore the insights, talents, gifts and abilities that He has given me. But I subordinate them, and myself, to His sovereign will and direction.




Lord God,

Your way is perfect and true. Your way is best for me, and I know it. I want only to go Your way. This, truly, is my heart’s desire.

I commit to live by faith and not by sight. I want to trust in You with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind. I do not want to rely on my own understanding, but I want to rely – completely, totally, utterly – on You.

I acknowledge You in all my ways. I release all of my thoughts, words and actions to You and I ask You to place the whole of them, and all of me, under Your Lordship.

I seek not to be governed by my own abilities but, rather, believing they are given to me by You, to exercise them under the full guidance and control of your sovereignty. I look for straight paths in You.                                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment