Thursday 14 June 2012

Not in vain


As God’s fellow workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says,
“In the time of my favour I heard you, and in the day of my salvation I helped you.”
 I tell you, now is the time of God’s favour, now is the day of salvation.   2 Cor. 6.1,2


Why would Paul urge the Corinthians in this way? How might they receive God’s grace in vain? Paul had been talking about the reconciliation of man to God in the atoning work of Christ. He who knew no sin was made sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. In grace we are encouraged and enabled to follow Christ in simplicity and purity. To receive God’s grace in vain might be to deny committing to a Christian way of life, following Jesus in simple purity.

Paul tells us why he urges us to live in the fullness of God’s grace. He quotes God’s words spoken through Isaiah (49.8) that he heard us in the time of His favour and helped us in the day of salvation. Paul then tells us that the present time, this age of grace between the two comings of Christ, is the time of God’s favour and the day of salvation.

Now is the time to press forward in Christ. Now is the time to follow Him in simplicity and purity. Now is the time to cry out to God, to ask for and receive His help in following Christ, not only in our private personal behaviour but also in our public personal actions and speech. Jesus called us – He called me – to go into the world and make disciples of all nations. My first act as a disciple is to embrace Christ, to receive Him as my own, as Saviour and Lord. I commit to Him in true and lasting intimate relationship. I look to truly follow Him, to grow more like him in every way. I seek to bring others to Him, to show them His love and purity and to encourage them also to follow Him, embracing Him and adopting His ways.




Holy Lord,

I receive Your grace and seek the fullest measure and fruit of it in my life. I am a sinner, I know this too well. I come before You in my sinful state. I confess and repent of each blot and stain in my life. I ask Your forgiveness. I seek the way forward in Christ, the way of grace.

I acknowledge that I live in the time of Your favour. I rejoice in this. I know that You hear me and You help me. In confidence I speak out to You.

I want to be a true follower of the risen Christ. I pray that I might become more Christ-like each day. In my very essence I seek the Christ within. May Christ also be outwardly manifest in my life. I seek to show He who is in me to the whole world. May my actions, daily, grow more pleasing to You.

I ask also that I might draw others to You. I ask for a simple and pure boldness to introduce people to Jesus, to show them his love and compassion, and to demonstrate this fully in my thoughts, words and actions to them. Lord, hear my prayer, in Jesus’ name I ask.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment