Friday 1 June 2012

Touched


At once Jesus realised that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?”                Mark 5.30


The woman subject to bleeding had suffered a great deal through twelve years. She had tried all available remedies, without success, and spent all her money in the process. From the reading we might assume that she hadn’t heard about Jesus until the present moment. But, as soon as she heard, she was convinced: “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” (v28) She knew this to be so and, in touching Him – Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering (v29). She knew the power that Jesus had to heal. She knew it, she pressed in, she received that power and she was healed.

Jesus knew just how strong and assured her belief was in him for He said: “Daughter, your faith has healed you.” (v34)

What is this faith? It is surely not the cause of the working of divine power, for is that not God’s sovereign work? Yet somehow it is a key. Throughout the gospels there is a strong link between man’s faith and God’s work in healing and miracles. Indeed, history gives further testimony. Through the ages, the faith demonstrated by men and women has been answered by the most miraculous working of God.

Does faith originate with me? I’m not exactly sure on this point and I’d certainly like to be clearer about it. For I want to know great faith, and I want to know what I might need to do in order to receive such faith and, hopefully, be willing to do what might be needed.

My present hypothesis is that faith does not originate with me but with God. Faith is a gift from God, bestowed in sovereign grace. I do, however, think it is my responsibility to exercise faith. I also believe that, as I exercise faith – in whatever measure it presently exists – it will grow.

I like to think also that I can pray for the gift of faith. I recall a recent prayer that: I know God can do anything. I ask for the faith to believe that He will do.

I love this great and wonderful God. I embrace Jesus as my Saviour and Lord. I yearn to see signs and wonders and miracles as I journey through life and minister in His name. I seek a great faith. Oh that I might know the faith that the great men of faith experienced. I think of Abraham, so long ago, assured in his faith and willing to go wherever God directed him. I think of Smith Wigglesworth, not all that long ago, and the simple faith that he exercised, and saw miracle after miracle come to pass.

I also believe faith to be a simple fact. It is not upheld by complex theories and complicated reasonings. No, it is the simplest of beliefs which says, “My God can do anything. I know this, I believe this, and I have faith to see this in this present situation.”

I want this faith, strong and resolute.


Lord God,

I know You are aware of what I have written here. You have the answers to the many questions there might be.

Do you give faith? Do I exercise faith and, thereby, it will grow? I’m not sure of the theology or doctrine involved in this and yet I sense it does not bother You, and I’m not to allow it to bother me.

This I do know, and this I hold onto in simple faith: your Word says “Ask and it will be given to you.” (Matt. 7.7) Your Word says: “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” (Matt. 21.22)  You said to Jairus, the synagogue ruler: “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” (Mark 5.36)

Lord God, I put all these things together as I come before You. I acknowledge that You are the mightiest being. You are Lord God, Almighty, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent. You are my personal Saviour. I confess all of my sin before you and I humbly seek Your forgiveness. I ask You, Jesus, to be fully Lord of all of my life. I ask You to exercise Your Lordship in every part of my being and of my existence. I ask You to draw me closer to You and to share secrets of intimacy with me. I dare to hope that You will use me to witness and minister for You, drawing others into relationship and intimacy with You.

I set aside any fear. I renounce fear in the name of Jesus. You are love, Lord, and perfect love casts out all fear. I believe; and I believe I will receive what I ask for in prayer when that request is one that is acceptable to You. I believe my request is acceptable and so I ask.

I ask for faith, for a strong faith. I ask for a faith such as Abraham knew. I ask for a faith such as the woman with the problem of bleeding knew. I ask for a faith like Jairus knew and a faith like that of the centurion (Matt.8.10). I ask for a faith to match that of any of the great men and women of faith through the ages. I ask for a faith that will see signs and wonders and miracles. Lord, let me see the sort of miraculous happenings that Wigglesworth saw. The age of miracles in not past!

The world needs Jesus. The world needs to see the miraculous. Complacency and indifference to the things of God have become commonplace. The world needs a wake-up call.

Lord God, hear my prayer. I ask, in faith. I ask believing that I will receive great faith. I ask believing that I will see signs and wonders and miracles as I minister in the name of Jesus. I ask believing that many, many will come into faith in You as they are touched by the power of Your love. I ask in faith. I ask believing.

I love you, Lord. I want to grow – rich and powerful – in Your love. I want to spread your love. Help me, in Jesus’ name I ask.                                                                              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment